Virtual MacOS 10.12 Sierra (guest) in MacOS 10.12 Sierra (host).

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TomyP, Apr 17, 2017.

1. TomyP

TomyP Bit poster

Hi everyone,

Before to buy Parallels 12 for Mac, I would like to know if it is possible to make a virtual MacOS 10.12 Sierra (guest) in a host MacOS 10.12 Sierra ?

Thanks for your answers everyone.

2. TomyP

TomyP Bit poster

Hi,
    I tried the trial version of Parallels 12 and I was able to create a macOS Sierra guest machine.

3. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello TomyP. Yes, it is possible to run MacOS 10.12 Sierra as a guest machine or virtual machine in a host MacOS 10.12 Sierra. Please let us know if you have any query.

4. MrD

MrD Bit poster

TomyP, I've recently upgraded to MacOS 10.12 Sierra using host and ran PixlRec app - it worked fine and so will Parallels 12. Go for it :)

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to hear that. Feel free to reach us anytime for support.

6. KevinB7

KevinB7 Member

@TomyP
    Yes you can BUT see caveats below (most are stupid and require Parallels to get off their collective backsides and do something):
    1. Default disk size is 67Gb
    2. You can change the disk size, however you CANNOT change the partition size in Parallels even at create time (stupid? Yes...)
    3. So you can have 1Tb allocated disk space, you still get a 67Gb partition
    4. To change the partition size you need a hack to convert HFS+ partition to coreStorage, diskutil size change, convert back to HFS+
    5. You can try everything within Parallels to change the partition size, but will end up with the Parallels KB article and support? advising it cannot be done within Parallels
    6. There is currently an issue with Sierra Guest VM randomly freezing, Parallels have not responded to the forum posts, it's not isolated to one person
    7. So far the system seem to unfreeze, but it is random, disruptive and freezes at times for several minutes
    8. Coherence doesn't work with macOS VM (as far as I can work out)
    9. There are issues that make the Sierra VM unworkably slow, mine was like that, but I fiddled (not sure what I did, but do remember adding 8Gb RAM to the VM)
    10. Parallels DO NOT know what is going on, here's two lots of contradictory advice from Parallels support:
      1. Do not exceed the recommended number of CPUs or RAM
      2. Give the VM half the Physical RAM and half the Physical CPUs
    When working and not freezing, Parallels with a Sierra Host and a Sierra Guest seems to work very well. The tech support to address significant usability issues in a timely manner just isn't there. Parallels support is seriously lacking in this regard. It has been noted that the best advertisement for VMware Fusion is Parallels support and yes, Fusion does run a Sierra guest with a Sierra Host and it does allow you to resize the guest partition on startup.

7. viola

viola Hunter

I can no longer install Sierra (10.12.5) on Parallels 12 (Version 12.2.0 (41591)). When I use an iso image or the ESD I get the following screen:
    [​IMG]

I made the ISO after this manner: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/253644/13220

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ylon, we are unable to see the screenshot attached in this thread. please help us with the screenshot in the .jpg format of the error message, we will check and assist you further.

9. viola

viola Hunter

@PaulChris@Parallels odd, you should have seen the image just fine. You can decide whether to reply here or in the other thread wherever you feel is more appropriate. I figured that perhaps I should split it out into a new topic since it was kind of not the exact same issue as this one, but it's your choice. Here's an imgr.com link: http://imgur.com/VNVbylo

10. parthp

parthp Bit poster

it will work on mac mini pro?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
  11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know about macOS, Guest OS and Parallels Desktop version you have to assist you in a better way.

12. asianc

asianc Bit poster

Let us know about macOS, Guest OS and Parallels Desktop version you have to assist you in a better way.

13. MarshallC

MarshallC Bit poster

So in general:

If I have a late 2016 MBP running OS X Sierra 10.12.6 and Parallels 12.2 (which currently has a virtual Windows 7 machine installed), I can also run a virtual OS X Sierra 10.12.6 in Parallels? I have software (Dragon Dictate Mac) which will only run on Sierra, so I would like to create a virtual Sierra and see if it will run there. THEN, I would like to upgrade the actual Mac OS on my MBP to Mojave, while keeping a virtual Sierra machine to run the legacy Nuance software.

At that point, will I need to upgrade to Parallels 14?

Will Parallels 14 also continue to run Windows 7?

Thanks

14. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MarshallC.
    Yes, you can. You can install any number of virtual machines on the same Mac under Parallels Desktop (as far as your Mac disk space can accommodate these). Just be sure not to run two or more virtual machines simultaneously and place a strain on your Mac.
    Yes, of course. As of today, Parallels 14 is the only version fully optimized for Mojave.
    Correct, based on the information given here.