Windows 10 may not boot after installing Сreators Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Danil@Parallels, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MurrayE

MurrayE Junior Member

Windows 10, at whatever update version I'm unsure (possibly already with the Creators Update), was running fine as guest under previous version of Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac, under macOS Sierra 10.12.6. But after updating to Parallels Desktop 13.0.1, Windows 10 never gets to the login screen, just showing a black window.
    Help!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MurrayE , please try Actions > Reset and check if that helps.

3. MurrayE

MurrayE Junior Member

I never got a chance to use Actions > Reset, which was greyed out as long as login was hanging. But I finally managed to suspend the Windows, quit Parallels Desktop for Mac, and after a Mac reboot, Windows started OK and installed the usual new version of the Parallels Tools accompanying the new version of Parallels Desktop itself.

4. charlottem1

charlottem1 Bit poster

Ohhh thanks a lot for help

5. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

You're welcome. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

6. NielsK1

NielsK1 Junior Member

I am having exactly the same issue. I have done multiple resets, but Windows still hangs on startup. Running MacOS 10.13.1, Parallels Pro 13.1.0 (43108) and Win 10 build 16291.0 (rs3 release).

Parallels Tools installed after I upgraded to Parallels 13.1.0, but as soon as the Win 10 machine reboots, then it just hangs at the Windows boot up screen. I have shutdown/reset Win 10 and also MacOS but still the same.

In the meantime, just to keep going, I have disabled Parallels Tools installation agent so that it does not reboot the machine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Vivendrad likes this.
  7. buckZor

buckZor Bit poster

Same thing happening to me MurrayE, I am on hold now with phone support.

8. NielsK1

NielsK1 Junior Member

buckZor - did phone support resolve the issue?

9. buckZor

buckZor Bit poster

No, not yet, not impressed at all with Parallels support I must say. I'll keep hammering at them today, but it's painful.

10. NielsK1

NielsK1 Junior Member

Problem continues after I upgraded to latest Win 10 build 16299. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to Parallels Pro 13.1.0 (43108)

11. NielsK1

NielsK1 Junior Member

12. Vivendrad

Vivendrad Bit poster

I have the same issue and would like to disable the Parallels Tools installation. How do you do that? also would this mean that the VM is no longer accessible or is it just the tools?

13. NielsK1

NielsK1 Junior Member

Problem is resolved after I installed latest Parallels upgrade 13.1.1

14. MichaelF18

MichaelF18 Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 13.1.1 on an iMac (27-inch Retina 5K) running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6. I have a Windows 10 VM, and I've tried twice now to install the Fall Creators Update to Windows 10. Every time I do, I eventually get to a screen with the following error message:

Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware

Anyone know what this is? Why is it happening.

15. LotharG

LotharG Bit poster

Mine is even worse: Macbook high Sierra 10.13.2, PD 13.2. I had Windows 10 on a bootcamp partition and was using it through a VM of parallels. Everything was working nicely for many weeks. Yesterday Windows recommended to update to (likely) creators update 1709. I let that happen in the VM and pressed "update and shut down". Nothing of the win system is working ever since. I only got the BSOD: It says: the PC is in need of repair... Errorcode 0xc000000f.
    This message is very persistent: it is shown when booting the VM or the bootcamp. The F-keys recommended to use do not work in the bootcamp version, thanks to the not supported Touch Bar :( . They have no effect when I try them in the VM either.
    The bad part is that the windows-portion does not seem to mount ???

Any help would be most appreciated!!! I am really desperate to lose the data...
    Lothar

16. LotharG

LotharG Bit poster

dear Meenakshi, I added my problem to this forum because it seems to deal with a nearly similar issue. Can you take a look at my question? Name: LotharG. I would be really grateful.

17. ArendT

ArendT Bit poster

My config is a MBPRO Retina 15" 2017 running parallels and windows from bootcamp

Not sure if it is a parallels problem but I installed windows fall creator update 1709 and at first it would not install when running the update from VM. I then booted into bootcamp and after a couple of failed installs(the update would run but after restart version would still be 1703). I got the updated installed using the windows fall created update executable(not using the traditional windows update). Worked under bootcamp after reboot, however when I went back to OSX and tried windows from there it would come with an inaccessible_boot_device message during boot. Switched back and this message also came up when booting using bootcamp.

I'm not sure if this thing is related to parallels or update 1709 from microsoft. I do think that I have to reinstall windows to get everything working again.

18. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello All, please stop the virtual machine by navigating to Actions -> Stop in the virtual machine menu on the upper left, open the virtual machine configuration window (refer to http://bit.ly/1eQU5lF for assistance), navigate to Hardware -> CPU & Memory and allocate 2 processors (or just 1 if the total number of available processors is just 2) and 2 GB of memory for Windows [or just 1 GB if total Mac memory is only 2 GB (or) 3 GB if total Mac memory is 8 GB (or) 4 GB if total Mac memory is > 8 GB]. Then, select 'Graphics' and allocate 1 GB of video memory for Windows. Finally, ensure that 'Vertical Synchronization' is enabled and 'DirectX 10' is selected for '3D Acceleration' under 'Advanced Settings'. Then, close the window and check for the issue.Thanks!

19. LotharG

LotharG Bit poster

20. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @LotharG, are you using old, hidden or recovery partition for that BootCamp?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.