DirectX 11 compatibility

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by YSG, Apr 12, 2019.

1. YSG

YSG Member

Hello,
    Do you know if Parallels Desktop is expected to be compatible with DirectX 11? When?
    Best Regards.

2. Hi,
    Macintosh operating systems (macOS) do not support OpenGL Compute Shaders, which is a requirement to develop DirectX 11 support for virtual environment. As of today, it is technically not possible to implement DirectX 11 support in Parallels virtual machines.

3. YSG

YSG Member

Thank You.

4. MrCookies

MrCookies Bit poster

Thank you, BTW - Are there any plans to switch to Metal, which (1) already supports it and (2) since OpenGL support is being deprecated by apple?

xazac likes this.
  5. xazac

xazac Bit poster

I totally agree.
    Can you please switch to Metal? I need virtual machine to run DirectX 11 games.
    We pay for a service that is not improving anymore but you, Parallels, still get payed by us.

6. JeffersonW

JeffersonW Bit poster

Eu também estou aguardando pelo suporte do DirectX 11 para rodar jogos em meu iMac via Parallels.

7. Guys, Parallels Desktop 15 just released.
    And now the DirectX 11 support in Windows on a Mac.
    First ever in the virtualized Windows on a Mac. Check this out for more info.
    Please upgrade, test and share any results with us

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. Filip10

Filip10 Member

Unfortunately there is something wrong with 3D graphics in Parallels 15. I get a message that my video-card is out of date. (It's a Radeon 580). As a result, performance Passmark 8.0 dropped from 3100 to 2064. Cinebench OpenGL dropped from 46,36 to 41,98 and CPU from 690 to 651.

9. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

10. Filip10

Filip10 Member

The exact error message of Passmark Performance Test 9.0 is:
    Failed to launch OpenCL Test, OpenCL.dill not found. Your card may not support OpenCL or the graphics driver may be out of date. (Parallels 15)

11. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @purged, thanks for reporting, we have reproduced these artefacts in Final Fantasy XIV and reported the issue to Engineering team.

12. JohnK33

JohnK33 Bit poster

I was excited for Dx11 support as well since I was unable to play Star Control Origins from Steam previously except on a dual boot. I have a MacBook Pro 2018 with Core i9 w/32GB of RAM and Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB. The Win10 Partition has 16GB of memory assigned to it and should have no issues running the game.
    It works great overall except that it randomly locks up my Mac including the Windows 10 VM and I have to force power down the entire system to get it responsive again. I tried waiting 15/20 minutes and it still never came back. It's also not generating any useful dumps it seems.

13. Miko2

Miko2 Bit poster

True, same problem here, With FFXI worked great on parallel 13 on windows 7, parallel 14 killed it not to mentioned 15. thought the added support of metal would fix these problem. WRONG! #1 priority should be graphic support not new little add-ons we more then likely not use. FYI 4K 5K mac's now, there may be the issues

AlejandroG2 likes this.
  14. DannyD3

DannyD3 Bit poster

Same problem here.

15. DannyD3

DannyD3 Bit poster

I am having the same issues. Passmark ratings on the Windows 10 VM decreased 30% after upgrading to Parallels 15. The 3D Mark Test decrease to half what it was in Parallels 14. I wish I had waited to update. Too many problems with Parallels 15. I wonder if we can downgrade back to Parallels 14 without any problems?

16. islaeh

islaeh Bit poster

The Direct X Game "Assassin's Creed Unity" (from 2015) payed via UPLAY does have heavy graphics errors (lots of rectangles; sprites of faces popping up at random).
    I managed to reduce all graphics settings, and enabled the FPS display. Sometimes up to 300 FPS are reported (good!).
    But that's the only good thing... The game can not be played, too many graphics errors and display speed dropping to 5 FPD.

Tested on: Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, Ende 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2 GB

I will update this post after upgrade to Catalina towards end of this year....

17. Hey, could you collect the tech report right after the issue reoccurs and post here the the report's ID?