macOS Big Sur and Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by IvanD@Parallels, Jun 22, 2020.

1. SyeerzyZ

SyeerzyZ Bit poster

Can't start Parallels as all i get is the "To complete Parallels Desktop setup, please restart your Mac."

I collect a tech report data once the issue reproduced and send it, id: 343980298

2. DonnaR2

DonnaR2 Bit poster

Fresh clean install of Big Sur and then installed Parallels without the tool box.
    Missing T and Y keys as well. I thought it was to do with not installing the tool box. I installed that.
    Everything appears to be running smooth so far apart from the T and Y keys. (and possibly a few others I didn't notice yet)
    I am not a developer, I just love Betas! ;)
    I noticed some people using the fn key for typing the T and Y. Will there be any sort of update for this via Big Sur or through Parallels?

3. DonnaR2

DonnaR2 Bit poster

Fresh clean install of Big Sur and then installed Parallels without the tool box.
    Missing T and Y keys as well. I thought it was to do with not installing the tool box. I installed that.
    Everything appears to be running smooth so far apart from the T and Y keys. (and possibly a few others I didn't notice yet)
    I am not a developer, I just love Betas! ;)
    I noticed some people using the fn key for typing the T and Y. Will there be any sort of update for this via Big Sur or through Parallels?

4. NelsonG3

NelsonG3 Bit poster

I read from another post that removing any traces of virtual box will solve this issue for now. I just encountered the issue and uninstalling virtual box using app cleaner solved my problem. Hope it can solve your problem:)

5. Hello, guys, we've found one more article about the BiErrorDomain Error 3
    Please check this link for more information.

BenJ1 likes this.
  6. DsurioN

DsurioN Junior Member

Not sure if it's already been posted in here, but to work around getting booted on login, simply don't sign in with iCloud during install (signing in to iCloud later also boots you out, such as when trying to setup Messages). Also, avoid clicking icons in the menu bar / the clock as this will freeze the system and log you out.

P.S.: Although Parallels Tools are not working at the moment, for people who own VMWare Fusion (gasp), the VMWare Tools seem to be working fairly well overall.

7. vitalyd

vitalyd Bit poster

I have the same problem

8. vitalyd

vitalyd Bit poster

thank you very much. this is true.

9. anic297

anic297 Member

I tried re-downloading the installer and got the same issue. Tried changing various settings: ditto.
    Later, I tried on Virtual Box and still got the same problem. At this point, I'm not sure if it's an input problem (mouse and keyboard simply not handled) a computation problem (VM is just stuck) or an output problem (screen not refreshed). How am I supposed to sort this?

10. Bryan_on_a_Mac

Bryan_on_a_Mac Bit poster

Any difference with the new beta today?

11. DsurioN

DsurioN Junior Member

Just installed beta 2, and now I'm getting kicked out to desktop again... so strange!

12. JoshM9

JoshM9 Bit poster

Can someone from the Parallels team please step in here and provide an estimated timeline for then Parallels will properly support macOS Big Sur? I have been watching this thread for weeks and frankly it's embarassing that the one Parallels person on here seems to keep encouraging people to pursue these hacks despite the support page saying "no workaround." Let's just be frank - it doesn't work right now! We all know it. So just be open about it and let us know when it might work (weeks? months?) rather than lead people on to think that through a series of hacks they can make this functional.

HowardD2 likes this.
  13. Bryan_on_a_Mac

Installed beta 2, didn't log into iCloud, created a second account in case I decide to. So far, so good!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  14. toonetown

toonetown Member

Does it still have the problem with missing menu bar icons and control center causing WindowServer to crash?

15. anic297

anic297 Member

I haven't yet tried the new beta, but installing the "previous" one (the one I couldn't install) on another Mac actually worked (but I only have 4GB of RAM on the host, there...). This boils down to a problem with my setup on the regular computer I'm using...

16. xzone

xzone Bit poster

very nice, I read that comments and that is very informative, I just say Thanks

17. GwenB

GwenB Bit poster

You can set up shortcuts in Parallells preferences for the keys on their own, without using fn key. You will also need to set up shift options for T and Y.

18. GwenB

GwenB Bit poster

Thanks! That worked for me. I had to reset Windows a few times, but it finally started.

19. Bryan_on_a_Mac

Definitely some menu bar icons missing. Clicking around on the menu bar - yeah, crashola.

20. Bryan_on_a_Mac

And, it does look like logging into iCloud makes the crash automatic on login again. Bummer. Wanted to see what the Home app looks like.