InDesign CS6 in High Sierra VM running on Catalina

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RogerS11, Jul 24, 2020.

1. RogerS11

RogerS11 Bit poster

Installed the latest Parallels on new 2020 MacBook Air (16GB RAM), OS 10.15.5. Created a VM and installed High Sierra to run some old 32-bit apps. Installed Photoshop and InDesign CS6. InDesign launches and gets to the 'Select File' dialogue then vaporises. Photoshop runs OK. Anyone got this configuration running successfully?

2. kendlinger

kendlinger Bit poster

Hi Roger,
    exact same problem here on a 2020 Mac mini. But no idea how to fix. Last week I gave VMware a try, and there it worked perfectly.
    I think I go back to VMware.

3. lech

lech Bit poster

RogerS11, could you please confirm whether your Photoshop works as quickly and effectively as on native (host) os? Catalina have made a problem with 32 bit apps, and some of them - beloved - can be used on eg. VM only. I installed Sierra on PD 15, because did not want to change the previous environment. Parallels is dedicated for macs, however, I noticed my Ps CS6 thinks too long, now. Wonder why?

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can refer to this article to know more about the cause of the issue.

5. kendlinger

kendlinger Bit poster

Hi Roger,
    all I can say is: VMware works perfect for me. I even installed El Capitan in my VM (that failed in PD15). Photoshop runs as expected, maybe a little bit slower than in native environment. But I'm not the PS power user. My main focus is InDesign and Illustrator. Hope that helps.
    Thomas

6. lech

lech Bit poster

Thanks Ajith for a prompt response, I appreciate it. I can not follow the article advise, unfortunately, as Ps CS6 can not be installed on Catalina (host os). Previously installed on Sierra host os it worked perfectly. So Apple's accelerators worked just fine, if we consider this way of thinking. The problem of slower operating appeared on the same Sierra, but installed at Parallels vm. It seems, bur this is obviously my personal opinion, that PD15 affects on app's work somehow. Do you think it may be result of running two macos at the same time, in fact?

Kendlinger, your note may suggest that VMware virtual machine works more effectively than Parallels one (in some circumstances). Have I read you correctly?

7. kendlinger

kendlinger Bit poster

As far as I can tell: for me yes.

8. lech

lech Bit poster

Noted, thanks a lot.

9. MacHattan

MacHattan Member

Folks, sorry to reopen this, but just curios... we're having the same problem with InDesign CS 6 in a guest OS High Sierra (10.13.6) in Parallels 16.5 with Host OS Big Sur 13.2. ID CS 6 pops as soon as you get to the splash screen. We noticed if we uninstall the Parallels Tools, we can open CS 6 as expected. So our question... what's the Parallels Tools installing that causing the pop? is there something we can maybe disable, remove, to fix? Kind of urgent.

10. B.E.L

B.E.L Bit poster

Just mentioning a few tricks for Sierra thru Mojave that can stop CS6 apps from crashing (in case anyone didn't try these yet). First of course in the High Sierra / Mojave VM, CS6 needs an older "legacy" version of Java. Also, it's sometimes a cure-all to go to HS / Mojave Settings > Security and Privacy > Privacy Tab > Accessibility menu > add Photoshop and Illustrator to the "Allow the apps below to control your computer."

11. FireWireVM

FireWireVM Bit poster

Strange, it should work under High Sierra, even Mojave.

Good news: I managed to solve the problem (ie: I identified the source of the problem and it's fixable)
    Bad news: it's basically unfixable on our end (it's doable but it requires very advanced programming skills)
    Semi-good news: you should be able to work with InDesign by booting the VM in safe mode -> https://kb.parallels.com/124181 . It's gonna be slow and and many things won't work in macOS but you can finish your work.

I will post a detailed explanation later, but in short, it's something Parallel can fix. It has something to do with the OpenGL renderer of their virtual graphic device. It reports the renderer as Offline, which causes the crash as it tries to read an invalid memory address (0x00000000). In Safe mode, macOS reverts to using Apple Software Renderer, which works as intended.

12. PaoloT2

PaoloT2 Junior Member

I'm planning to use Parallels Desktop to use InDesign CS6 in a Sierra or High Sierra virtual machine. Is there an official answer about a fix for this issue?

Paolo

13. ParallelsNumpty

ParallelsNumpty Bit poster

For me the below is happening.

Parallels 16.5.1 + Macbook Pro 16", Big Sur 11.4, + Wacom Cintiq 20WSX + Pressure Sensitivity and opening Adobe CS6 design Suite apps via VM Mojave 10.14.6, Not working, due to CS6 Design Suite Adobe apps crashing mainly Indesign and Illustrator. (CLrenderer issue)

But.....

Parallels 16.5.1 + Mac Pro 5,1 12 core running Big Sur 11.2.3 via Opencore Legacy Patcher, + Wacom Cintiq 20WSX + Pressure Sensitivity and pen calibration alignment* via VM Mojave 10.14.6 and ALL CS6 Design Suite apps. Working perfectly.
    *But only when in full screen otherwise I have to recalibrate the Wacom screen and I have to lock the Wacom to the VM before start up.
    Pressure sensitivity did not work initially with Parallels Desktop 16 was launched, now it does.

CS6 Design Suite on my new (to me) 16" Macbook Pro will only work perfectly in Vmware Fusion 12.

14. Neilwhit

Neilwhit Member

I use CS6 ID, PS, IL in a Sierra VM without problem. Had to be sure to install the spec ial Legacy Java from Apple's Support page, but works fine (mostly).

15. GordonC4

GordonC4 Bit poster

I can confirm the use of Legacy Java did not resolve the issue for CS6 ID & IL in a High Sierra VM.

16. JohnL60

JohnL60 Bit poster

How did you get it to work in VMware Fusion player 12. I cannot get CS6 to accept my license number, keeps saying internet access required.

17. JohnL60

JohnL60 Bit poster

Contacted Adobe via chat and they sorted me out. Just had to download Creative cloud app and that allowed me to download my old version of CS6 and install it without activation as it was already activated in my account.

18. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

My experience so far has been that the issue is the Parallels video driver. Try uninstalling Parallels tools and see if the program will run.

After Effects and Bridge (so far, I haven't tried all my CS6 apps) will crash on opening with the Parallels graphics driver installed. Go to /Library/Extensions/ and remove prl_video_ga.plugin and prl_video.kext, reboot the VM and try it again. Works 100% for me, however the graphics in the VM without the kext make it pretty much unusable anyway.

I'm still trying to get this sorted, if I find a better solution I'll post it. I'm currently running with Parallels 17 as with v18 the Mojave VM barely runs at all (sigh, another new Parallels bug! Welcome to the benefits of your subscription plan.)

19. UweM

UweM Bit poster

Did u come up with a solution yet? I have the same problem. Wanted to update my host system (still on Mojave) to up-to-date macOs and use CS6 in Parallels on Mojave.
    But Indesign and Illustrator do not like the new neighborhood... ;-)

Obviously it worked in older Parallels VMs:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...c-client-os-on-a-mac-host.336746/#post-804929

So pls dear Parallels Support Team fix the graphics driver and make it work again!

20. JamesMcDowell

JamesMcDowell Member

No unfortunately I didn't get it working with Mojave. I tried VMWare fusion and it worked better, but still not great. I the end the solution was to just use a Windows 10 VM and use CS6 on that, it worked without any issues.

I don't know if you have (had) a cross platform licence for CS6 so you could install it on Windows or if that's something you would even want to do, but that's what worked for me.