VISTA requires activation each start-up

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by WesGaige, Oct 6, 2007.

1. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

Starting this AM, when I start Vista Ultimate under Parallels Desktop, Vista is asking me to re-enter the activation code. This is happening every time.

It does not happen when I start Vista using Boot Camp.

It's a pain to enter the 25 characters of the activation code each time.

Anyone know anything about this?

Also, starting this AM, Parallels is not mounting my shared folders anymore. I have no idea if this is related or just a coincidence. (This was fixed by running Parallels Tools Installer.)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please answer my questions.
    How often do you use Boot Camp?
    What type of Mac do you use?
    Do you have any USB-devices connected to Parallels?
    Could you please show me a screenshoot of your VM Configurations.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

How often do you use Boot Camp?

Infrequently. Only once or twice since I installed Parallels.

What type of Mac do you use?

A new Core2Duo iMac 24" 2.8Ghz

Do you have any USB-devices connected to Parallels?

No

Could you please show me a screenshoot of your VM Configurations.

Please explain which screenshot you are looking for. There could be a dozen or so depending on what detail you are looking for.

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

try PD Menu >> View >> VM Configuration
    as the simplest first

After a new motherboard I had to re-verify boyh Mac OS Photoshop CS2 and WinXP Sp 2

the latter under Start Menu >> Programs >> accessories >> system tools >> verify
    which I did online

is it possible you need to re-register or re-verify Vista with MS?

Hugh W

5. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

Update:

I talked to MS Support for 1.5 hrs. yesterday. At the end, they told me it was a Parallels problem and hung up on me. I then called Parallels. They say it is a known problem. They can do nothing about it because it is a Microsoft problem. I'm only the customer of both. Neither one gives a flip about the customer.

At least it's no longer threatening to stop working as it was doing. Now when I enter the code, it, at least, comes back and says it is activated.

6. maztec

maztec Member

Sounds about right. Parallels could avoid al ot of these little problems w/ Vista if they would create an emulated driver that pretends to be a docking station that turns on when in parallels and off when in bootcamp. But that solution has its problems and is too much work for them, of course. Not to mention the potential legal questions if they were to do that.

However, that solution would force Vista to recognize the different hardware as an alternative configuration for the same system and automatically swap over - storing multiple hardware profiles - rather than thinking you have plugged the hard drive into a second computer altogether.

Meh.

7. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

Here are screenshots:

Attached Files:

8. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

1. please tell me how do you shut down your Vista.
    2. Try to disconnect Floppy may be it will help.
    3. Try to use Shared Network instead of Bridged.

Best regards,
    Stacey

9. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

10. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

I shut down and changed to Shared Network. The floppy disk was never enabled.

It did not ask me for my activation code this time. - that's good.

However, now it is saying 'DreamScene' and 'Aero' may not be genuine and refers me to a site to check. That site says

"Unknown error encountered during Windows validation. The validation service is unable to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine. Please validate again. If additional attempts result in validation errors you may want to try again later."

11. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

Further Update:

Vista just came up and said I had to activate immediately or it would stop working.

I went thru the sequence of entering the code again restarted Vista within Parallels without incident.

BTW - if changing to Shared Network fixes this problem, the pople at the telephone support line sure need to know.

12. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I am sure glad I am sticking with WInXP sp2

those of us who remember Win 2000 know that MS takes at least a year to get a new OS right after release

Why use Vista if you can avoid it ?

hugh W

13. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

Update:

Just restarted Parallels and Vista. Problem is back. So no difference between 'Bridged' and Shared' Network.

14. schalliol

schalliol Member

I have the same problem too switching to/from Boot Camp and Parallels. I am using Vista Ultimate and I understood that it supported virtualization.

15. scotini

scotini Bit poster

So does anyone out there have Vista (installed under bootcamp) working with Parallels?

16. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

A fine tuning of the problem:

If I 'Restart' Vista, it does not ask for the Product Code. It only asks for the Code when I start Parallels.sssss

17. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

Vista often asks for activation if more then three hardware devices was changed since the last start-up. That is why after switching from Boot Camp to Parallels Vista requires the activation.
    If you can, please contact the Microsoft support, so they will help you with your activation problem.
    If it not possible, please write me back.

Best regards,
    Stacey

18. WesGaige

WesGaige Junior Member

I've contacted M$. They say it's Parallels' fault.

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Wes,
    You should be able to get something out of M$, as it is really their fault. The changing of three hardware devices simply is not a realistic way of measuring things, as in your instance you are legally running their software, and they are preventing you from preforming said usage.

Anyways... Hopefully Parallels has a fix up their sleeve. Sorry, I don't use VISTA, partially because of these reasons, and the other reason because I just hate it, or I would try and pitch in.

20. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

WesGaige, the problem might be solved by creation of new VM.
    Please perform the following steps:
    1. In Parallels go in Configuration Editor of your VM.
    2. Go 'Hard Disk' -> 'Advanced' tab.
    3. Click on the 'Clear' button.
    4. Create new VM using your Boot Camp partition.

Best regards,
    Stacey