Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EricG12, Nov 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. EricG12

EricG12 Bit poster

I've installed Parallels about a month ago and it is just so slow, to the point where it's unusable. How can I fix this ASAP as I need it for my thesis. And I don't want a generic answer.
    Feel like this was a huge waste of money.

2. EricG12

EricG12 Bit poster

I've even tried allocated 8GB of Ram to the VM and it did nothing.

3. Hello, did you check it with 2GB?

4. ParshantS

ParshantS Bit poster

I have the same issue. Can hardly use Windows and it almost freezes MacOS too.

5. Hello, how much CPU did you give to your Windows VM?

6. ParshantS

ParshantS Bit poster

I have assigned 4 CPU and 8G RAM.
    My laptop configuration is
    2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

7. TheodK

TheodK Member

Hello ParsantS end EricG,
    I recovered most of speed of the Windows VM by doing two things:
    1. I don not use Microsoft Teams or Skype (for Business) anymore. This halts and sometimes crashes my Windows VM's. This is an unresolved issue. I now use the OSX apps for Microsoft Teams or Skype (for Business) instead although they will not work together with other Windows apps.
    2. I fully disabled Microsoft Store and its apps. This is a Microsoft issue. It tends to use at least 50% of the CPU for quite some time every day for background updates and other activity. Combined with other software like PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, Word, etc. Windows will eventually slow down to a crawl. Changing RAM or number of CPU cores does not help.
    If you don't use Store apps at all, then do this:
    • Click the Windows Start button and type gpedit.msc.
    • Right-click this program and run as the administrator (password might be required).
    • Now go to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store and activate "Turn off the Store application" and also activate "Turn off all applications from the Store".
    • Close the Group Policy Editor and restart Windows.
    If you don't see any progress, then turn everything back to ""Not configured" and restart Windows.
    Theo