[patch] Support for kernel 5.18 (Parallel Tools 17.1.4.51567)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by (GalaxyMaster), Jun 2, 2022.

1. MaxA4

MaxA4 Bit poster

@JP_7 https://forum.parallels.com/threads/tools-patch-procedure.351669/
    These are the detailed instructions kindly provided by Mark Fine with full disclaimers. This was never intended for an end-user to DIY. It is literally editing your kernel. The good news is you can take a Snapshot beforehand and do this as many times as it takes. I was successful but it took me several hours because this was the 1st time I ever attempted such a thing. Granted I could do it much faster next time- but there is no way I could guide someone via text in a forum. Best of luck.

Mark Fine likes this.
  2. PhilippT

PhilippT Bit poster

Somehow for me the patch is getting stuck after successfully applying a few hunks, not sure what's happening there:
    Code:
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: patching file prl_fs/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_call.c
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Using Plan A...
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #1 succeeded at 76.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #2 succeeded at 92.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #3 succeeded at 137.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #4 succeeded at 156.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #5 succeeded at 192.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #6 succeeded at 209.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #7 succeeded at 227.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #8 succeeded at 292.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #9 succeeded at 406.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #10 succeeded at 441.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hunk #11 succeeded at 500.
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Hmm...  The next patch looks like a unified diff to me...
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: The text leading up to this was:
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: --------------------------
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: |diff -puNr 1/parallels-tools-17.1.4.51567.orig/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c parallels-tools-17.1.4.51567/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: |--- 1/parallels-tools-17.1.4.51567.orig/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c    2022-05-30 20:22:14.000000000 +0000
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: |+++ parallels-tools-17.1.4.51567/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c    2022-06-03 01:39:47.387571647 +0000
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: --------------------------
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: patching file prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c
        parallels-iso.fedora-parallels-arm64: Using Plan A...

At this point it doesn't continue, I waited for ~30 minutes. I'm applying it like this, was anyone else having this issue?
    Code:
    $ cd /opt/mnt/kmods
    $ tar xvpf prl_mod.tar.gz
    $ rm -f prl_mod.tar.gz
    $ patch -p1 --verbose < /tmp/parallels-fix.patch

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Looks like you're trying to patch the iso mount point, which really should be read only and won't amount to a hill of beans.

Per step 5 in the path procedure: What I recommend is to create a new directory and make a copy of what's mounted first, then patch that. There are several reasons for doing that, the main one being that once it's patched, it stays patched. If the kernel is updated again and it breaks something else, you will have fewer things to deal with.

Also, make sure you're using the patch file from this post.

4. PhilippT

PhilippT Bit poster

No, I unpacked the ISO first, sorry for not posting that step. But yeah, I think I used the wrong patch. Thanks!

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Right, but my point is: Usually when you exit the VM the mount point disappears and won't reappear the next time you start it and re-mount the iso. So if you've mounted the iso, expanded it there, then applied the patch to that, your patched kernel code baseline will also disappear. If there's any additional follow-on patches or other fixes that are needed, it won't work until you've re-applied this patch to the iso before anything else is done.

6. AlvinS2

AlvinS2 Bit poster

Thank you sharing man! I'm also interested in when there will be a offical patch from parallel?
    It's been more than one month already. Lots of people are still facing the issue.

7. pdfbi

pdfbi Bit poster

8. JeffreyR8

JeffreyR8 Bit poster

Thank to everyone involved in patching the kernel and for supplying the code. I'm new to parallels after moving from VirtualBox. Was stumped when the tools didn't first install and glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm running Fedora 36 on intel with kernel 5.18.11. I applied the patches manually to each file, but I'm not sure I have the most recent version of the patch. It is working and I can see all my native files from OSX. Much appreciated. A bit dismayed that there is no official patch for this.

9. JasonS31

JasonS31 Bit poster

Thanks for the patches folks, it's kind of maddening we need to do this but it is what it is i suppose.

10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

No kernel update for my x86_64 FC36 as yet, but I've applied the changes to inode.c as a preemptive strike. I'll let you know the results when it finally hits.

alvin_d likes this.
  11. SPX

SPX Junior Member

On my Macbook M1 Pro using https://github.com/wegank/nixos-con...56e/hardware/parallels-unfree/prl-tools.patch with Kali kernel 5.18 works like a charm. The other one shared is for Intel and got directory path that don't exist for ARM Parallels Tools.
    Using the patch you must use the directory name "prl-tools-build", put the Parallels Tools in there and looks like this:

/home/<user>/prl-tools-build/install
    /home/<user>/prl-tools-build/installer
    /home/<user>/prl-tools-build/install-gui
    /home/<user>/prl-tools-build/kmods
    /home/<user>/prl-tools-build/prl-tools.patch
    /home/<user>/prl-tools-build/tools
    /home/<user>/prl-tools-build/version

/home/<user>/prl-tools-build/patch -p1 < prl-tools.patch

DrorD1 likes this.
  12. DrorD1

DrorD1 Bit poster

Thanks for that! works for me with MBP M1. finally :)
    If it helps even better, here are copy-paste commands to do the patch & install parallels tools for kernel 5.18 on m1 (For kali 2022.2).
    Steps by @DerekE2 and @SPX
    Code:
    mkdir ~/prl-tools-build
    cd ~/prl-tools-build
    cp -r /media/cdrom/* .
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wegank/nixos-config/7b89b4c6d1a87c83f10aa5d0f96fe0229795056e/hardware/parallels-unfree/prl-tools.patch
    cd kmods
    tar zxf prl_mod.tar.gz
    patch -p1 < prl-tools.patch
    cd kmods
    mv prl_mod.tar.gz prl_mod.tar.gz.orig
    mv prl_mod.tar.gz.orig ../
    tar zcf prl_mod.tar.gz *
    cd ..
    ./install

13. ThomasF31

ThomasF31 Bit poster

Hello all, gosh I'm stuck on this thing since 3 days ^^
    Exact same config with a fresh install of Kali Bare metal installer for Mac M1 on a MBP M1
    The patch works smoothly but the install keeps failing, if someone has a clue !
    Code:
    2022-08-09T11:37:17+0200:

Parallels Tools 1.7.3-23546 Installer started.
    2022-08-09T11:37:17+0200: Failed to setup console printk level.
    2022-08-09T11:37:26+0200: execCmd: ./install --check [0]
    2022-08-09T11:37:26+0200: execCmd: ./installer/detect-xserver.sh -v >/dev/null 2>&1 [0]
    2022-08-09T11:37:34+0200: execCmd: ./installer/pm.sh --check gtools [0]
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '1.7.3.23546'
    modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali5-arm64

Tue Aug 9 11:37:34 CEST 2022
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Register service to install new Guest Tools
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    make: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    awk: cmd. line:1: warning: regexp escape sequence `\#' is not a known regexp operator
    Will use compiler CC="cc".
    Compiler version "cc (Debian 11.3.0-5) 11.3.0"
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make CC=cc
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    1: /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali5-arm64/build
    2: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg
    3: 20220809
    4: 1.10.0
    Start compile prl_tg...
    make -C /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali5-arm64/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg CC=cc modules
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-arm64'
    warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
      The kernel was built by: gcc-11 (Debian 11.3.0-3) 11.3.0
      You are using:           cc (Debian 11.3.0-5) 11.3.0
    1: /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali5-arm64/build
    2: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg
    3: 20220809
    4: 1.10.0
      CC [M]  /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:23:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_common.h: In function 'tg_out':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_common.h:179:14: warning: assignment to 'long unsigned int' from 'void *' makes integer from pointer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
      179 |         port += dev->base_addr;
          |              ^~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_common.h:183:24: warning: passing argument 2 of 'iowrite64' makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
      183 |         iowrite64(val, port);
          |                        ^~~~
          |                        |
          |                        long unsigned int
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/io.h:185,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/io.h:13,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/irq.h:20,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/asm-generic/hardirq.h:17,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/hardirq.h:17,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/hardirq.h:11,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/pci.h:38,
                     from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:7:
    /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/asm-generic/io.h:769:64: note: expected 'volatile void *' but argument is of type 'long unsigned int'
      769 | static inline void iowrite64(u64 value, volatile void __iomem *addr)
          |                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function 'prl_tg_write':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:252:30: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA'; did you mean 'NODE_DATA'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      252 |         struct tg_dev *dev = PDE_DATA(FILE_DENTRY(filp)->d_inode);
          |                              ^~~~~~~~
          |                              NODE_DATA
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:252:30: warning: initialization of 'struct tg_dev *' from 'int' makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/asm-generic/bug.h:22,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/bug.h:26,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/bug.h:5,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/cpufeature.h:19,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/hwcap.h:9,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/arch_timer.h:12,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/timex.h:8,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/timex.h:67,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/time32.h:13,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/time.h:60,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/stat.h:12,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/stat.h:6,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/module.h:13,
                     from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:5:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function 'prl_tg_probe_common':
    2022-08-09T11:37:34+0200: Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '1.7.3.23546'
    modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.0-kali5-arm64

Tue Aug 9 11:37:34 CEST 2022
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    awk: cmd. line:1: warning: regexp escape sequence `\#' is not a known regexp operator
    warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
      The kernel was built by: gcc-11 (Debian 11.3.0-3) 11.3.0
      You are using:           cc (Debian 11.3.0-5) 11.3.0
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:23:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_common.h: In function 'tg_out':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_common.h:179:14: warning: assignment to 'long unsigned int' from 'void *' makes integer from pointer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
      179 |         port += dev->base_addr;
          |              ^~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_common.h:183:24: warning: passing argument 2 of 'iowrite64' makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
      183 |         iowrite64(val, port);
          |                        ^~~~
          |                        |
          |                        long unsigned int
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/io.h:185,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/io.h:13,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/irq.h:20,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/asm-generic/hardirq.h:17,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/hardirq.h:17,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/hardirq.h:11,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/pci.h:38,
                     from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:7:
    /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/asm-generic/io.h:769:64: note: expected 'volatile void *' but argument is of type 'long unsigned int'
      769 | static inline void iowrite64(u64 value, volatile void __iomem *addr)
          |                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function 'prl_tg_write':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:252:30: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA'; did you mean 'NODE_DATA'? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      252 |         struct tg_dev *dev = PDE_DATA(FILE_DENTRY(filp)->d_inode);
          |                              ^~~~~~~~
          |                              NODE_DATA
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:252:30: warning: initialization of 'struct tg_dev *' from 'int' makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/asm-generic/bug.h:22,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/bug.h:26,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/bug.h:5,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/cpufeature.h:19,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/hwcap.h:9,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/arch_timer.h:12,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/arch/arm64/include/asm/timex.h:8,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/timex.h:67,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/time32.h:13,
                     from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/l/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/kern_levels.h:5:25: warning: format '%lx' expects argument of type 'long unsigned int', but argument 3 has type 'void *' [-Wformat=]
        5 | #define KERN_SOH        "\001"          /* ASCII Start Of Header */
          |                         ^~~~~~
    /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/printk.h:418:25: note: in definition of macro 'printk_index_wrap'
      418 |                 _p_func(_fmt, ##__VA_ARGS__);                           \
          |                         ^~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:516:9: note: in expansion of macro 'printk'
      516 |         printk(KERN_INFO "detected %s, base addr %08lx, IRQ %d\n",
          |         ^~~~~~
    /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/include/linux/kern_levels.h:14:25: note: in expansion of macro 'KERN_SOH'
       14 | #define KERN_INFO       KERN_SOH "6"    /* informational */
          |                         ^~~~~~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:516:16: note: in expansion of macro 'KERN_INFO'
      516 |         printk(KERN_INFO "detected %s, base addr %08lx, IRQ %d\n",
          |                ^~~~~~~~~
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/scripts/Makefile.build:293: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-arm64'
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-kali5-common/Makefile:1858: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2

14. ThomasF31

ThomasF31 Bit poster

I finally found the issue : The tools can't install on "appstore" version

15. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Fedora 36 just updated to 5.18.18. No sign of 5.19.x yet. Perhaps they're not releasing it into production until they've ironed out the processing problems that @brad-x discovered.

16. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Fedora 36 just updated to 5.19.4. Parallels Tools updated without any user modification. I'm pleasantly shocked.

17. alvin_d

alvin_d Bit poster

Nice, is that Parallels 17 or 18?

18. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

18.0.0 (53049)

19. ClemensO

ClemensO Bit poster

Hmm weird.. when I try to patch the files, I keep getting errors that it can't find the file:

can't find file to patch at input line 4
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |diff -puNr prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c
    |--- prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c
    |+++ prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c
    File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored
    can't find file to patch at input line 16
    |diff -puNr prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_call.c prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_call.c
    |--- prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_call.c
    |+++ prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_call.c
    File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    Skipping patch.
    11 out of 11 hunks ignored
    can't find file to patch at input line 118
    |diff -puNr prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c
    |--- prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c
    |+++ prl-tools-build/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.c
    File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    Skipping patch.
    3 out of 3 hunks ignored​

20. ClemensO

ClemensO Bit poster

It sucks I can't edit my message.. guess it's not the year 2022 yet at Parallels HQ. Anyways, I noticed what I did wrong.. and applying the patch did work but still getting the same error when running the installer.. prl_tg not found.