After PD18 upgrade, Windows10 VM frozen after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RichardK17, Aug 26, 2022.

1. RichardK17

RichardK17 Bit poster

Since upgrading to PD18 a week or so ago, any time I close the lid on my MacBook Pro 16 for more than a few minutes, when I open it again everything is instantly resumed except my Windows10 VM which is completely frozen with the clock indicating a time closer to when I closed the lid on the computer.
    Under PD17, occasionally it would behave in a similar manner but after as much as 2 or 3 minutes it would eventually wake up, seem to reset the Windows Explorer processes, and continue. Now it's just frozen - any attempts at intervention do nothing at all, and I can wait at least 15 minutes and still no change. if I suspend and resume the VM, after resuming the screen will be 100% black. Computer is a 2020 MBP 16 with 64 GB RAM, latest OS X. VM is configured for 4 processors and 16GB of memory.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can't fix this PDQ, I'm going to have to try another VM vendor - as an IT/business consultant, losing work and having to kill and restart Windows is totally unacceptable.

2. Stuartclan

Stuartclan Bit poster

Best Answer
    Also getting this issue with a MacBook Pro 16 2019 using the latest version 18 and Windows 11. Had no issues with Windows 10 on v17, but had to create a new Windows 11 developer machine back in April and I've been dogged by this problem ever since. I have to be diligent to Suspend my virtual machine because if I don't and my Mac happens to go to sleep, when I return the VM is frozen and only a Reset fixes things (if I suspend and attempt to continue it results in 100% black screen)...

Feels like a bug. Would be nice if there was some kind of resolution, but it feels like Parallels have left us (long time) Intel users behind...

3. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

Am seeing exactly the same behaviour here on a similarly spec'd 2019 model Mac... have just installed the patch to 18.0.1 (53056) - hopefully this addresses these stability issues

EliezerC likes this.
  4. HackerHoffmannG

HackerHoffmannG Bit poster

Nope ... the update came two days ago, just before me downgrading again. It didn't help, at least in my case.

5. HackerHoffmannG

HackerHoffmannG Bit poster

Sorry, wrong thread!

6. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

Same thing post upgrade to 18.0.1.... Super annoying bug - considering downgrading back to V17 as resetting Windows VM after sleep is super annoying

7. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

8. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

9. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

with v 18.0.1 there is an improvement: #4

10. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

11. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

It is also keep happen to me.

12. BrettB5

BrettB5 Junior Member

I downgraded back to v17 back in September and it hasnt skipped a beat.... am still running that and have now upgraded to MacOS Ventura - wondering if this issue was a Monterey thing but dont have the time to flip back and forward between Parallels versions in case its not

13. EliezerC

EliezerC Bit poster

I'm facing the same issue after installing the last version (at this moment) of Parallels Desktop 18 in MacOs Ventura, even this MacBook Pro 16 2019 was reset and completely configured from scratch (no corrupted configuration files or something like that). Every time this happens I have had to reset the Virtual Machine and lose everything I had done. I have changed the Virtual machine optimization settings for full use and medium also, incrementing resources (more than 8GB of RAM, I have 64GB). Resources limits are not reached, I monitored with an activity monitor, so It seems that is an error in the Parallels Desktop version

BrettB5 likes this.
  14. RickR8

RickR8 Bit poster

Still happening for me with Version 18.1.1 (53328)--any progress on this?

15. ThomasM59

ThomasM59 Bit poster

I am on Version 18.1.1 (53328) and in the last week I have had 3 instances on my Imac that after waking the computer the VM is completely frozen as well. Only way I have got back into windows is to Action -> Reset. So far I haven't left my VM with unsaved work but I will only be lucky for so long.

16. ThomasM59

ThomasM59 Bit poster

Make that a 4th time.. grrr. I know it is going to be frozen when the screen resolution is like old 800x600 when one of the monitors wake up. (not sure if that resolution hint helps). Thanks and happy Friday.

17. BenR11

BenR11 Bit poster

The issue of the VM being frozen after Mac resumes from sleep is affecting me on 2 different machines. Very frustrating. I have a support case open and they seem clueless so far.

18. ThomasM59

ThomasM59 Bit poster

BenR11 happen to get your case resolved? I forgot to close out my VM last night and found it frozen solid today.

19. PhilipB13

PhilipB13 Bit poster

After reading through this, and following links to related issues and trying other things that didn't work, I made a change 2 days ago that seems to have stopped the problem for me (Win11 frozen after Mac wakes from sleep). If the problem returns, I'll post another update, but so far, so good. On previous versions of Parallels, when I installed Win11, the startup and shutdown options were set to "Start up and shut down manually" by default, but for whatever reason, installing Win 11 on Parallels V18 defaulted to "Custom". I switched the option back to "Start up and shut down manually", and the problem seems to have stopped. Each time I've woken my mac from sleep since then, windows is still responding normally. This setting in Parallels is found in your VM settings under "Startup and Shutdown".

20. PhilipB13

PhilipB13 Bit poster

Unfortunately, after a few days, I started to see the issue again. It seemed to help at first. I don't know why, but the problem returned. I've made no changes to any versions or configurations since the last post.

21. BenMc

BenMc Bit poster

I'm getting this exact issue. Have bailed back to v17 and will monitor this thread to see when it's safe to update back to 18.