After PD18 upgrade, Windows10 VM frozen after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by RichardK17, Aug 26, 2022.

1. RichardK17

RichardK17 Bit Poster

Since upgrading to PD18 a week or so ago, any time I close the lid on my MacBook Pro 16 for more than a few minutes, when I open it again everything is instantly resumed except my Windows10 VM which is completely frozen with the clock indicating a time closer to when I closed the lid on the computer.
    Under PD17, occasionally it would behave in a similar manner but after as much as 2 or 3 minutes it would eventually wake up, seem to reset the Windows Explorer processes, and continue. Now it's just frozen - any attempts at intervention do nothing at all, and I can wait at least 15 minutes and still no change. if I suspend and resume the VM, after resuming the screen will be 100% black. Computer is a 2020 MBP 16 with 64 GB RAM, latest OS X. VM is configured for 4 processors and 16GB of memory.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can't fix this PDQ, I'm going to have to try another VM vendor - as an IT/business consultant, losing work and having to kill and restart Windows is totally unacceptable.

2. BrettB5

BrettB5 Bit Poster

Am seeing exactly the same behaviour here on a similarly spec'd 2019 model Mac... have just installed the patch to 18.0.1 (53056) - hopefully this addresses these stability issues

3. HackerHoffmannG

HackerHoffmannG Bit Poster

Nope ... the update came two days ago, just before me downgrading again. It didn't help, at least in my case.

4. HackerHoffmannG

HackerHoffmannG Bit Poster

Sorry, wrong thread!

5. BrettB5

BrettB5 Bit Poster

Same thing post upgrade to 18.0.1.... Super annoying bug - considering downgrading back to V17 as resetting Windows VM after sleep is super annoying

6. HC_3

HC_3 Kilo Poster

7. BrettB5

BrettB5 Bit Poster

8. HC_3

HC_3 Kilo Poster

with v 18.0.1 there is an improvement: #4

9. BrettB5

BrettB5 Bit Poster

10. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit Poster

It is also keep happen to me.

11. BrettB5

BrettB5 Bit Poster

I downgraded back to v17 back in September and it hasnt skipped a beat.... am still running that and have now upgraded to MacOS Ventura - wondering if this issue was a Monterey thing but dont have the time to flip back and forward between Parallels versions in case its not

12. PeterG30

PeterG30 Bit Poster

Fix the Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools.
    This will help you to repair the Windows 10 system files and check for any issues, follow these steps below:
    1. Open the Start menu, in the Search box type cmd or command prompt.
    2. Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    3. When you Open it type the following command & press Enter:
    Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
    Be patient until DISM repairs the component store. When the operation is completed, give this command and press Enter:
    sfc /scannow
    4. When the SFC scan is completed, restart your computer.
    5. Check if the problem persists.

Greetings,
    Peter