Did anyone else on 17 get a "macOS Ventura Service Notification"?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ConnerS1, Sep 14, 2022.

1. ConnerS1

ConnerS1 Bit poster

I received an email the other day saying that Parallels 17 is not going to be compatible with macOS Ventura and the only way to fix it is to buy Parallels 18 for $70. I think this is absolutely ridiculous that they're making it so you either have to pay $70 or not upgrade your operating system just to have it work. This version is less than a year old!!! They should either patch 17 so it works or give us a free upgrade. I get planned obsolescence but jeez, it's been less than a year since I bought Parallels! Anyone else think this is outrageous? BAB149F2-E9DB-448F-88CE-656A711B791D.jpeg

RicardoRivas, JawadA1 and MatthewR20 like this.
  2. GiedriusK

GiedriusK Bit poster

I bought Paralells 17 half year ago and now i got same email with notification that Paralells 17 will be not compatible with MacOS Ventura, and will need to upgrade to v18 for 70$. That is totally unfair from Paralells side.

3. AndreiC7

AndreiC7 Bit poster

Not cool! I have the same issue... Bought Parallels 17 not half a year ago... and now need to spend more?
    I hate subscriptions... I hoped I'd be running this version for at least a couple of years before I need to spend more.
    Parallels, please solve this.

4. JustinM12

JustinM12 Bit poster

Came here to say the same thing. I bought the non-subscription version because I just need it for a few things and don't have an on-going need or desire for all the featured offered by the subscription versions. If Parallels thinks this will induce me to upgrade, I want to be very clear: it will, instead, induce me to abandon Parallels altogether.

KellyG2 and MatthewR20 like this.
  5. DavidG54

DavidG54 Bit poster

Same. Purchased late April, less than 5 months later. FFS.

KellyG2, AndreiC7 and MatthewR20 like this.
  6. abccC2

abccC2 Junior Member

To be frank, it's not clear what is going on. See this webpage:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/114381

It suggests that Parallels 17 IS COMPATIBLE with Ventura. And then there is a little asterisk with some note about Monterey.

Please clarify, Parallels.

AndreiC7 and MatthewR20 like this.
  7. ConnerS1

ConnerS1 Bit poster

I think this is saying the APP is compatible with Ventura, but the email is saying Windows 11 won't work with Ventura

8. BjornO3

BjornO3 Bit poster

FWIW, I have installed the Ventura Release Candidate along with Parallels Desktop 7.1.4 and I'm running my Windows 11 virtual machine just as fine as with Monterey. I'm only performing quite light tasks in the Windows environment (full screen) so there may be problematic circumstances that I have not discovered yet.

9. mauro7

mauro7 Bit poster

Hi guys. I sent a message to customer support. Take a look.
    Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

We are writing to follow up with you about your inquiry/question/request with ticket ID #3729690.

If you have the Parallels Desktop version 17, this version still works and will still run with macOS Ventura, upgrading to version 18 is optional.

KellyG2 likes this.
  10. ChrisI

ChrisI Bit poster

Now that Ventura is released, can anyone using v17 confirm that Windows 11 works with Ventura?

11. JulianH10

JulianH10 Bit poster

I may give this a try after my work day ends. I need that Win11 VM until then.

I just purchased 17 in July when I purchased my Mac Studio and I will not upgrade under as a hostage. I'll use either UTM (already using it for straight emulation to run x86-64 Win10) but I KNOW it can run arm Win11 without emulation from many reviews - the x86-64 emulation it is a little slow but in a pinch it will work - the studio has the chops to make it usable) or move to the tech preview of Fusion.

I find this to be a blatant money grab from parallels for those of us who purchased so recently and if this is how they want to treat their loyal customers - I've been using versions for 11 years - I will reciprocate their disloyalty..

With that said, I'll report back when I can.

KellyG2 likes this.
  12. JoshD7

JoshD7 Bit poster

I upgraded to Ventura and found this as part of troubleshooting a different issue.
    Once that issue was resolved, things seem to be working fine at first glance.

13. Alex112

Alex112 Bit poster

Just upgraded and my existing Windows 11 VM seems to be working the same as before.
    Mac Pro M1 Max - Ventura 13.0 and Parallels 17.1.4

JustinM12 likes this.
  14. FelipeS3

FelipeS3 Bit poster

I also got this service notification email and I understood that we need to pay extra bucks if you want to update Parallel software itself to version 18.
    I just updated to Ventura OS and everything is fine!

KellyG2 and JustinM12 like this.
  15. JulianH10

JulianH10 Bit poster

I'm happy to say that Parallels 17 is doing just fine on Ventura on Apple Silicon. Linux ARM64 and Win 11 Arm64 VMs all running as expected.

KellyG2 likes this.
  16. RenatoC4

RenatoC4 Bit poster

Ridiculous from Parallels! I really didn't spect it from them! Very disappointed, only 4 months after my purchase... If Parallels thinks this will induce me to upgrade, I want to be very clear: it will, instead, induce me to abandon Parallels altogether.

KellyG2 likes this.
  17. Mason2

Mason2 Bit poster

I also received this upgrade message, but I went ahead with the upgrade to Ventura and am still able to using Windows 11 in Parallels 17. If Parallels was going to force an upgrade on me I would've uninstalled it from my machine and never given them another dime.

18. PietroS1

PietroS1 Bit poster

By my side i received that email this morning and strangely in spanish (on all my systems installed languages are only italian and and english), anyway i was concerned than right now i tried to run my Win11 (arm) on my Mac Mini M1 and Parallels 17.1.4 (latest 17). Not exausistive jobs but it work perfectly in starting,updating Win11, runnning Edge, Office and also a vpn (that was critical on win11 for arm). To be honest that message is suspicious, i think a lot of us bought P17 in 2022 with the lifetime formula we are not speaking about something years old...P18 was released just 2/3 months ago it could be insane end of support for P17 right now.
    On top of this i think that despite Ventura is a major OSX upgrade the historical change was the M1 (arm) platform so ideally what at today works on M1 should work also with this new OSX release...but obviusly in the (i don't know how far or close) future we cannot expect to upgrade osx remaining with a too old parallels release.

19. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Bit poster

Ventura installed in a MacBook Pro M1 2021 .
    Everything working as usual. I tried some games, browsers and a couple of applications that I use in Windows and everything worked fine.
    I upgraded to Parallels 17 four months ago, and I would be very disappointed if I have to be forced to purchase again. Parallels is definitely not doing a good job with the communication regarding the Ventura update.

20. JustinM12

JustinM12 Bit poster

Adding my voice to those who have upgraded without issue, thankfully.

To comment on PietroS1's thoughts, though - "under the hood" changes to macOS can cause incompatibilities with software, especially something as "sensitive" as Parallels which relies on low-level OS functions and access to raw hardware. Thankfully, it doesn't appear that Ventura includes these, as evidenced by the fact that Parallels 17 is still working.

But this means either one of two things: 1) Parallels knew this and was telling people they "needed" to upgrade anyway (not good), or 2) Parallels didn't know this, and was telling people they "needed" to upgrade anyway (not good, either). Parallels Support also ignored my tweets asking about this over a month ago. Which I could forgive if I thought they didn't invest a lot of time into their Twitter support, but when seemingly everyone but me gets a reply, that's pretty unimpressive.