Can Parallels run Mojave on an M1 Mac device?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by NoahM3, May 22, 2021.

1. NoahM3

NoahM3 Bit poster

I'm a stubborn macOS Mojave user and I don't want to give up my ability to run 32-bit apps. I understand that macOS Catalina uninstalls the 32-bit drivers, that all Mac computers from late 2019 onward came with Catalina by default, and that Parallels for Mac has previously been able to install a [any?] previous version of macOS as a partition.
    Is this still the case? Can I run macOS Mojave (or earlier versions of macOS) through a Parallels partition on a Mac device with an M1 chip? If so, will it be able to run 32-bit apps through that partition?
    I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but it is so unclear since Parallels' primary use seems to be running Windows on a Mac.

MichaelE likes this.
  2. NoahM3

NoahM3 Bit poster

I should note that I currently have a Mid-2019 Macbook Pro- the last generation of 15" models that supported Mojave.
    I'm looking into getting something newer, but not if Parallels can't help me.

3. MonaL

MonaL Bit poster

Steps are given below-
    Put the Install macOS Catalina.app file somewhere on the Mac in the user Home Folder (e.g. on the Desktop).
    On the Mac with Install macOS Catalina.app file open Terminal and change directory to ../Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents:

in Finder navigate to Install macOS Catalina.app > right-click it > Show Package Contents.
    in Terminal window type "cd " - note the space after "d".
    drag and drop Contents folder from Finder to Terminal window, so the command will look like:
    cd /some_path/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/
    hit Enter
    Archive "Frameworks" folder by executing the following commands in Terminal:

sudo su
    tar -cf Frameworks.tar.gz Frameworks
    move the original folder and compressed file in the directory where Install macOS Catalina.app is located:

mv Frameworks.tar.gz ../../
    mv Frameworks ../../
    In Finder check that in Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents directory there is NO Frameworks.tar.gz file and Frameworks folder.

In Finder check that Frameworks.tar.gz file and Frameworks folder are both located in the same directory where Install macOS Catalina.app is located.

Now copy Install macOS Catalina.app and Frameworks.tar.gz file (Frameworks folder should not be copied) to the SCCM server.

If you need a working .app installer on Mac side, go back to Terminal and move Frameworks folder back to its default directory (make sure this is done after the files are copied on the server):

mv ../../Frameworks ./
    On the SCCM server Create macOS Catalina package:

Right-click on Packages in Software Library -; Overview -; Application Management and click Create Package in opened context menu.

Fill in the fields. Check This package contains source files check box, click Browse... and specify the required directory. Click Next in the Package page of the wizard.

Choose Standard program and click Next in Program Type.

At the Standard Program page:

Specify Name.
    Use the following Command line:
    tar -xf Frameworks.tar.gz -C 'Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/' && chmod -R 777 'Install macOS Catalina.app' && ./'Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall' --agreetolicense

Set Run mode to Run with administrative rights.
    Tick Allow users to view and interact with the program installation checkbox.
    Click Next.
    Leave other field values in the wizard as is.
    Configure properties of the package to copy its content to distribution point:

Right-click on the macOS Catalina package in Software Library > Overview > Application Management > Packages and click Properties in the opened context menu.
    Check Copy the content in this package to a package share on distribution points checkbox in the Data Access tab of the package properties dialog.

Apply changes and close the dialog.

Deploy the macOS Catalina package:

Right-click on macOS Catalina package in Software Library > Overview > Application Management > Packages > Deploy.
    Choose the required collection the "General" page of the wizard.

Add Distribution Point on the Content page of the wizard.

Add assignment schedule Assign immediately after this event: As soon as possible.

Leave other parameters as is.

4. SteveG15

SteveG15 Bit poster

I appreciate this very detailed set of instructions. But I need to be clear on the context. Does this somehow allow me to run Mojave on Parallels. I have software that wil only work on Mojave. And I just bought an M1 mac. This is not just any software. ALL of my websites are designed in it - Freeway Pro. :(

5. budsimrin

budsimrin Member

Like some others, I am DESPERATE to continue running Mojave, and I have a new Mac Studio. So, I know this silly, but I have to at least ask this question. Suppose I were to create a Monterey VM in Parallels Desktop on my Mac Studio. Can I install Parallels Desktop inside the Monterey VM, and then add a Mojave VM from a pvm file from my previous Intel iMac in the virtual Parallels Desktop? I can buy another Intel iMac, and I may have to do that, but I really don't want to.

MichaelE likes this.
  6. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

My understanding of the way Parallels is built would make this a hard no as the Guest VM is Still an ARM based VM, so while an M2 (pretty sure I read this) may be able to do Nested VM, you'll only be nesting ARM based VMs.