Debian 11 Latest - Mouse and Keyboard Don't Always work on boot

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by TonyGauderman, Jan 5, 2023.

1. TonyGauderman

TonyGauderman Bit poster

frequently, the mouse and keyboard don't work on boot from my Debian 11 guest VM. Most of the time, a reboot of the VM from Parallels resolves the issue. Has anyone else seen this and found a solution?

2. Asish

Asish Staff Member

Hello @TonyGauderman, Please re-install the Parallels Tools on Debian Linux Virtual Machine by following this KB article.

3. david107

david107 Bit poster

I experience the same issue even after reinstalling Parallels Tools.
    What else can fix this issue?

4. LendyZ

LendyZ Bit poster

Same here, with the latest Arch Linux ARM.

5. Manawyrm

Manawyrm Bit poster

Same here, I'm affected on Manjaro ARM (ArchLinux-derivative).

Typing/smashing keys while in Grub/the boot console seems to somewhat lessen the problem, but I still sometimes need to boot the machine multiple times until the keyboard is being recognized.

It seems to be some kind of problem with the XHCI / USB host controller.

I would be willing to provide a ready-made image for Parallels engineers which can reproduce this issue, if that would be helpful.

6. Patrick U

Patrick U Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with Parallels Version 18.2.0 (53488) on M1, with both Kali Linux and Fedora. Haven't been able to reliably reproduce it, but it happens regularly. Also, restarting a VM is less likely to resolve it that doing a separate shutdown, then a start.
    Since I'm new to Parallels, is there a bug report already? Where can I open one, if not?

7. EddieF

EddieF Bit poster

Same here. Very frustrating. Have to reboot several times before it works.

8. ShawnC4

ShawnC4 Member

Me too. It's been so long I forget exactly when this started happening for me. I know for sure I've seen it with my fedora 36 and fedora 37 VMs. I don't think it happens when the prtools fail to load for some reason (e.g. dkms build failure).

9. ChristopherL13

ChristopherL13 Bit poster

This happens to me when I boot Kali. I'm running it on M1. My kernel version is 5.18.0-kali5-arm64, if i upgrade to anything higher than this, it doesn't always work on boot-up as the OP described. I've tested it countless times and always have to revert to a previous snapshot. It has been happening for the last year for me.

10. Tangents

Tangents Bit poster

Same here with Ubuntu 22.04.1LTS (aarch64 ARM). I've wasted tons of time downgrading and upgrading kernels to try to fix things. Didn't work.

11. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are aware of this issue and the development team is working to fix it in future updates.

As a workaround, you can also try the steps below:

It requires modifying a GRUB system boot file, so it's highly recommended to back up your virtual machine or creating a snapshot before proceeding.To apply the workaround, please perform the following steps:

1. Start your virtual machine.

2. Create a Snapshot of the virtual machine before proceeding by clicking on Actions -> Take a Snapshot.

3. Open Terminal, and execute the following command:
    Note: You will have to input your administrator password to execute it.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

4. Scroll down and locate the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

5. Replace that line with the following line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet xhci_hcd.quirks=0x40"

6. Take screenshot before saving.

7. Press "Control+X" -> press "Y" -> press "Enter".

8. Next, execute the following command:

sudo update-grub

9. Check if the mouse and keyboard issue persists.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the following data:

1. Please collect an additional technical report (click on the Parallels Desktop icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    2. A screenshot of the modified grub file from step 6.

jklepach and Tangents like this.
  12. Tres Finocchiaro

Tres Finocchiaro Member

@pavel, thanks for the workaround, I've added it to my Debian VM and it seem to improve the lockup bug.