Fedora Core 9 Parallels Tools Install Failure

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Graham, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Bruce Graham

Bruce Graham Bit poster

On MBP 15" Core Two Duo 2.33 and Parallels 5584 running Fedora Core 9 with all latest updates as of 1 March 2008, when attempting to install Parallels Tools, the following error message is generated:

Found xorg version .
    Installation for xorg.. not found.

Then the installation appears to terminate with no other message. If uninstall script is then run, the following error message is generated:

Parallels Tools installation not found.

Dynamic screen resolution doesn't work, but I've edited xorg.conf for 1280x800 and that's OK. Everything else seems to work great including sound, except for USB mass storage. of course. If only I could get Tools installed so USB mass storage would hopefully work properly. Any tips? This would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

3. scsjason

scsjason Bit poster

Any news on when it will be supported ? I too have had the problem with being unable to install the parallel tools. Presumably its just a re-compile of whatever is in tools to recognise the new version xorg . . . ?

4. James O'Dell

James O'Dell Bit poster

I haven't even been able to make an xorg.conf file that allows FC 9 to work. Can you post what you did to get it to work?

Thanks,
    Jim

5. VinceSkahan

VinceSkahan Junior Member

On my MacBook, I can't get Parallel Tools to install either, but Xwindows looks ok at 1024x768 if you do a little manual tweaking in xorg.conf

In the Screen section:
    set your DefaultDepth and Depth to 16 (was 24)
    set the Modes to "1024x768"

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

7. James O'Dell

James O'Dell Bit poster

I was surprised to find that just changing the depth and defaultdepth to 16 worked like a charm. No other changes.

8. tommetge

tommetge Bit poster

what a remarkable answer, MaximS. It would be slightly more helpful if you could at least post a *reason* why it isn't supported. One of the nice things about linux is the community of people willing to put effort into making things work... I would love a chance to work around this. If you, or any of the other parallels team could give us a few details, I'm sure we can work something up.

9. tommetge

tommetge Bit poster

i've patched up the installer tools to work on fedora 9, but the modules (obviously, version mismatch) will not load, so it's a moot point. for those curious, fedora 9 runs Xorg 1.5.0 RC1 (actual version is 1.4.x). the mouse and video drivers will not work. best bet (and this is why setting your configs to use 16 bit works) is not to use the tools themselves, use the standard vesa driver that fedora 9 preconfigures your system for.

if you (like me) have upgraded your vm from 8 to 9, the tools installer is nice enough to leave your old config in the /etc/X11/ dir- called xorg.conf.prl-backup. just move that to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and you should be good to go (you may need to reduce from 24 to 16, as mentioned in this thread).

for the parallels team: would you consider releasing the source for the tools so that we can compile the necessary modules for fedora 9? or would you be able to release a precompiled binary for Xorg 1.4?

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please wait for June's planning build

11. pcgalen

pcgalen Bit poster

I am curious as to how you got FC9 to install. The VM crashes upon the installer boot on windows XP guest trying to install FC9. I tried all of the common kernel parameters and still no go

12. pcgalen

pcgalen Bit poster

I mean Windows XP host.... Sorry.

13. John@Parallels

try agp=off , this should help

14. pcgalen

pcgalen Bit poster

Thanks, but no help

Thanks for the tip... Still crashes after it says SMP not available switching to UP

I tried NOSMP=yes and that did not help either.

15. John@Parallels

is it possible to provide /var/log/messages file?
    Yo can retrieve file using Parallels Explorer

16. sapidus

sapidus Bit poster

June build (5608) still fails to install

Hi John,

On 5/25/2008, John@parallels wrote:

"Please wait for June's planning build"

I'm running the June build (5608 - June 9, 2008) which gives the following message:

"Found xorg version 1.4.99
    Installation for xorg.1.4 not found.
    "

Any idea when a fixed version will be made available?

17. John@Parallels

I am not able to provide exact ETA, right now, I will try in 2-4 days

18. RodM

RodM Bit poster

How did you get FC 9 installed with X working?

I got fc 9 installed, but nothing I did would get x/kde working.

I've deleted it for now, but can reinstall this weekend, if I can get x working

19. John@Parallels

Situation for now is following, Parallels Tools are included in Parallels Server and working, but they are a bit different version and we are working to compile Parallels Desktop compatible version

20. ptrourke

ptrourke Bit poster

Thanks for work on this

Being able to install Fedora 9 in Parallels would be very useful to me.