Parallels Desktop Release Candidate 2 is here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ben @ Parallels, May 31, 2006.

1. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Constant,

We are working on it. It will be available on Windows and Linux very soon after final Mac GA.

2. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

I tried 4 downloads (Safari & Firefox) and none were usable. Error message: "not recognized".

3. neile1

neile1 Bit poster

same here no luck downloading , it stops after 2-3 Mb and tries to mount with Error message: "not recognized"

4. bioengineer

bioengineer Bit poster

Try using a download manager. I downloaded my copy with iGetter and it worked fine the first time.

5. Quantise

Quantise Junior Member

A good way to do this is if the download stops or slows to a crawl in Safari, click Stop Downloading and then momentarily start it again. The download starts again. You can do this until the RC2 has downloaded.

John

6. carlosv

carlosv Bit poster

7. hayes_philip

hayes_philip Junior Member

8. I installed RC2 earlier today. It represents a significant improvement over previous versions, and it works like a champ on my MBP. Not a glitch in networking or using the shared folder, no problems with sound, and everything runs snappier including an XP restart after installing VM Tools that took only 3 seconds!

Very impressive. Kudos to the team.

9. xray

xray Junior Member

Love you guys but it could be passion...

if RC2 had Garmin GPS USB support (maybe that's the problem!).

Download took a couple tries but I got it running on my MBP just fine.

Now, all I need is Garmin GPS USB support. I know, I know, it's dicey. Consider it a challenge!

BTW, I paid! Does that give me any extra leverage? ;)

Danka!!!!

X

10. Fred Brinkman

Fred Brinkman Bit poster

Great!!

Playing around with RC2 and I'm impressed (again). Logged some problems and as fa as I can see, all of them solved.

You're doing a great job Guys!!

And just don't bother with people complaining about 39 dollars being to expensive. Maybe you cannot please everybody, but you can sure please a lot of us.

11. Djoh

Djoh Member

Nice

Hot-damn, it's fast. I am soooo glad I paid so many months ago!

By the way, should I have stopped recieving all those "purchase now" emails/messages in PD?

I love how how much you respond to user comments and the general Mac concept of simplicity and interface. I like this product very much, I hope a few more of the (my) suggestions get implemented later on!

12. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

[*]Integration with Virtue is now bug-free

I'm still not able to switch desktops when I'm in fullscreen mode and trying to switch using Virtue

13. david

david Member

You have to go to OS X preferences > universal access > and then make sure that "enable access for assistive devices" is disabled, not checked. Then it works.

14. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

You think... that is.

Have they released a beta version? Have you seen it?

How can you guarantee they won't hose Mac users with a limited version?

When will this VMWare product arrive? I need this now, not a year from now.

You seem confident, let us know what you know. So far all we have from VMWare are promises too.

15. n9yty

n9yty Member

That is simply not a solution--That must be enabled for other things on the system to work properly. Albeit they are add-ons that require it, not part of the core system, but regardless you can't quite expect peopel to not use a native feature of the OS in order for this product to function properly.

16. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Well, no. It's off by default. That's native.

What you have is a feature conflict, and you simply have to choose what application feature is more important. Whether you need it checked, or not.

If you need it checked, for a screen reader per say for blind or low-vision users, then maybe a neat screen effect isn't as important and can be overlooked.

Besides, this isn't even a feature of Parallels we're discussing, it's the result of 3-4 different technologies interacting. You can hardly blame Parallels because an Apple feature in getting in the way of a screen effect of another app VirtueDesktops because you might need a screen reader for low vision.

Besides (My wife is legally blind, BTW... ) if low vision is your problem the neat screen effect might be lost on you anyway. Go with what's more important to you.

=)

EDIT: Man my spelling sucks today.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  17. netsyd

netsyd Bit poster

Nice ... thanks for making what is shaping up to be an excellent product!

18. kaufman

kaufman Member

I agree its not perfect. Witch needs it, and I would never give that up. All it means for people like us is that we have to do an alt-ctrl to release the mouse cursor, and then you can do the virtue keys. Not perfect, but good enough.

Michael

19. kaufman

kaufman Member

Except that releasing the cursor also leave full screen mode. Very annoying.

Michael

20. davert

davert Member

Terrific job!

I've noticed that they have a fully working, full-featured version with all the options 95% of people need and then some LONG before the first alpha versions of any other package, and that parallels is treating Mac custoemrs as equals of its long-standing Linux customers. That means something to me. I get tired of being tenth on the list.

Sure, if VMWare ever moves, I'll look at them. But I pre-ordered Parallels a long time ago and never regretted it, and won't regret it even if VMWare comes out with the perfect virtualizer - because really, how much CAN it improve on Parallels? We're talking relatively fine distinctions at this point (other than being able to share a real partition, and frankly I don't think that matters to most people. I don't personally see myself using BootCamp now that Parallels is here.)