ACPI Support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Pegasusrjf, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Pegasusrjf

Pegasusrjf Bit poster

Hello,

I was wondering if there were plans to include ACPI support. It is impossible to install any version of Vista, or get full testing off power management type software in Windows XP without ACPI.

Thanks in advance.

2. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

ACPI will be supported in next version.

3. Pegasusrjf

Pegasusrjf Bit poster

Thanks for the reply.

Will the next version also be a beta, or a full release. I would really like to test before I actually purchase when the time comes.

I am in the middle of the Vista TAP program at the company I work for. I don't have a Windows PC at home but work with and manage Windows systems all day at work. Having this software and Vista capability will allow a good test as the the iMac Core Duo and related hardware are similar to the systems that we are currently buying (Thinkpad T60).

4. smakofsky

smakofsky Bit poster

Does "next version" mean the next public beta, or the next full release of the product. Parallels is pretty damn amazing - would love to be able to host Vista in a VM.

5. davidwsica

davidwsica Member

I think this question still is to be answered whether "next version" is next beta or next full release.

6. Steven Jomiel

Steven Jomiel Bit poster

It's been over a month since the last post to this thread. I just tried Vista 5384.4, which gives the error:

Windows failed to load because the firmware (BIOS) is not ACPI compatible.

I'm running Parallels Build 1832. Any hope to try this out anytime soon?

I really love the parallels product with XP (well, as much as you can love XP anyway)...

7. plightbo

plightbo Bit poster

Any word on this? I just grabbed the public vista beta and got the same error :(

8. VTMac

VTMac Pro

On numerous threads Parallels has indicated you will have to wait for Release 3.0 for ACPI. That release will be "later this year." No specific date is given.

9. tag

tag Bit poster

Is this the same "next" version (you promised three versions ago) that would also have block device support?

10. VTMac

VTMac Pro

I don't work for Parallels, so I assume you mean "they" promised. As I have no clue what "block device support" is, I can't comment. As for ACPI, they have consistently said that by next release, they meant next full product release.

11. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

So I am I going to have to shell out 40 more bucks to get Vista running with 3.0?

12. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Why do people want to run Vista virutalized. You do realize that most of the new Vista eye candy won't work in virtualized environment - right? I mean the interface won't be a lot different / better than XP. And until there are Vista only apps, I really don't understand the need. Obviously Vista "should" be more secure, but I still suspect it's market share will leave a big fat target on it, that will inevitably lead to buckets of viruses, trojans, etc.