Tab key doesn't work in Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by randy131516, Dec 8, 2007.

1. randy131516

randy131516 Bit poster

Okay, I've got a keyboard mapping problem.

When I start the Mac in Mac mode, the Tab Key works fine in Excel, Word, Safari, etc.
    When I start the Mac in Windows mode, the Tab Key works fine in Excel, Word, IE, etc.
    When I start up Parallels, the Tab Key some times acts as if it's the Command Key. Other times, I get a system beep and nothing.

It occurred before I upgrade to Leopard.
    And it is happening in the latest version of Parallels (build 5582).

It has to be something in Parallels since it only occurs when running Parallels.

Any suggestions?

2. funops

funops Bit poster

Similar problem.

I experience a somewhat similar problem (iMac OS X 10.4.11) whereby when I'm in the Windows (XP Pro) VM and open a program that requires input into form fields, I can normally Tab from one field to the next and so on. But if that program is open from within Parallels, when I Tab, the cursor/focus jumps to that program's icon on the Windows task bar instead of moving to the next field. If I press Tab again, the cursor jumps back to the field. If I start to type text into the field, all manner of weirdness happens; for instance, I guess depending on what text character I press, the Windows Explorer Search/Find dialog pops open, or, the Windows Start menu pops open, or, some other Windows program opens and starts "running." Since I'm typing fairly quickly, a whole bunch of Windows programs winds up opening (apparently apropos whatever text keys I've just typed).

Very frustrating. I have to completely close out the Windows program I was trying to use, as well as anything else that popped open, reload that initial Windows program, and mouse click into each field I want to enter text into instead of being able to Tab navigate from field to field.

This is quite annoying.

Bob

3. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

Like Bob Says

Same problem here. After upgradign to Leopard, my Tab key started doing strange things when running apps (such as Quicken) on XP under Parallels. I'm using Microsoft ergonomic USB keyboard with my Mac. The problem shows up on the latest rev of Parallels (5582) as well as the previous 3.0 build. Instead of movig from field to field, Tab causes focus to jump to the Task Bar, then to cycle through the apps on the Task Bar. Exactly what Bob describes.

4. funops

funops Bit poster

Do you use TypeIt4Me or TextExpander? If so, that's at least one explanation for the problem. Customer Service has confirmed this with me. I use TypeIt4Me, which apparently is known to conflict, and asked them if they know if TextExpander might be an alternative but they just tested with TextExpander and replied that the same problem exists. Weird. I guess then that they know about it and what exactly is being done to deal with it is something I hope they look in to so the programs are compatible. I need an abbreviations expanding program for my work.

If you're not using either of those programs, you should probably contact Parallels customer service as there might be a conflict with one or more of your other programs.

Bob

5. funops

funops Bit poster

Update info regarding TypeIt4Me. I read in another thread that the Tab key problem goes away with the current version of TypeIt4Me, v3.2.4. So I upgraded and indeed the Tab key within my Windows XP Pro is functioning normally again. I have not done extensive testing as I have also read that sometimes it might work ok and sometimes it might not. I haven't experienced that, yet, and it is working perfectly again, via TypeIt4Me v3.2.4.

The TypeIt4Me download page isn't too clear on what is the current version, there is a link that says "Coming Soon" but when I clicked that link, the current version downloaded and installed v3.2.4 (it noted my older version and asked if I wanted to replace it, which I did). I then enabled it and while most likely not necessary, I restarted the computer. Loaded Parallels with Win XP Pro and the Tab key is working correctly (for now).

Parallels developer(s) seem to be aware of this conflict and perhaps are working on it because a future version of TypeIt4Me might see the problem return. I'm holding on to my 3.2.4 version. :)

Bob

6. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

Awesome, funops. That was exactly the problem. I use TypeIt4Me, and upgarding did indeed solve the problem. Thanks so much.

7. armhol

armhol Bit poster

Hi,

I just came across this thread because I have the 'Tab key not functioning' problem. It's a strange one. I reinstalled my system over the weekend and now when I need the tab key it works in some situations and not others. I have typit4me installed but I also did before and had no problems. I have installed the latest version it and restarted and the problem persists. I have uninstalled it and the tab problem still persists. I have turned off 'enable access for assistive devices' in the UA preference all to no avail. Anything else I can try? Why should this occur after a fresh install of OSX when it worked fine before, I didn't install anything extra I don't think.

Confused.............

8. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

I installed the latest version of TypeIt4Me and the problem went away.

9. chcsep

chcsep Member

My tab key also stops working in the middle of doing miscellaneous things.

My host OS is Leopard and my guest OS is Windows XP Pro, and I am using Parallels 3.0, build 5584. I use various programs in the guest OS, including QuickBooks 2007, Firefox 2.0.0.x, OpenOffice.org 2.4, and IE6. I also have Norton SystemWorks Standard Edition.

I use programs as normal (lots of copy-pasting and spreadsheet and webform navigation) until it just stops in the middle of regular operations and I have to restart the guest OS. It still works in the host OS. Actually, after testing it again it seems that it's back on, so I guess it's being spotty.

Nevertheless, I've had this happen a few times (about once a week, I'd say), and it's really troublesome when I am in a rush to get my shipping done!

10. chcsep

chcsep Member

Parallels is no longer usable for me. Will switch to another vm program.

This problem is occurring more and more frequently. At least once a day now. Shift+tab works, but tab does not. It goes and comes back, but always when I am filling out forms in Firefox or in Quicken--about the only thing I use Parallels for. I have upgraded my version of Parallels to build 5608 (again difficult, because the software didn't recognize my registration as valid--another waste of my time)

My boss uses a competing product to run Windows on her OS X, and she does not have this problem.

Since the Parallels support team hasn't responded to this thread with any indication of how to solve the problem, and since my Parallels license expires soon, I'm going to go with a different product to run Windows on my mac. This is a waste of my time and my company's money. We need to use Windows, and all the keys on the keyboard.

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

12. chcsep

chcsep Member

Yes, 590224, created in September after the problem came back. The solution they suggested may or may not have resolved the issue--I don't think I've even had time to bother trying their solution--but it was still a waste of my time.
    So, let me get this straight: there's a place where I can change key combinations, but if I change it to anything other than the default settings, it won't work? This is a very strange implementation of customization.

13. John@Parallels

Solution in ticket is correct in order to receive upgrades, all you need to do is register on web site

What do you mean by this

So, let me get this straight: there's a place where I can change key combinations, but if I change it to anything other than the default settings, it won't work?
    There are pre-assigned combination in Windows
    It is hard to guess what you want to achieve, with piece of information you provided

14. chcsep

chcsep Member

My tab key stops working, and the suggestion you gave was:
    The information on that page (and in the rest of the section starting on that page) does not seem to say anything about the tab key, and I could not (and cannot) understand which of the many instructions in that section you were suggesting. The section contains a list of options, but does not make any specific suggestions of which options to undertake.

In the absence of clear instructions on repairing the problem (either from you or in the resource you cited), I assumed that your advice was for me to change my settings so that they exactly match the graphic on page 225. (This is the source of my side-complaint that I am unable to customize settings if they must exactly match the default.) I have done this and the problem has not resolved. In fact, it is occurring even more quickly, to the point that it is becoming impossibly difficult to use Parallels.

So allow me to reiterate my problem: I am using parallels, and I am able to move forward between fields in forms with the tab key, and backwards between fields with shift+tab, then all of a sudden with no other indications, I am unable to move forward between fields with the tab key. The tab key works normally in OS X. I am using the default iMac keyboard that came with my G5, and when I plug in a Logitech keyboard the problem persists; another user above experienced the same problem with a non-Apple keyboard.

I will put in a request with my supervisor to purchase a copy of Fusion so I can stop wasting my time and the company's time/money on this.

15. John@Parallels

Ok, I hope I got the problem.
    Just some questions for clarification
    1. You are using Excel (or any calc software) in Coherence mode
    Try to lower Mac OS resolution, and check is the problem is still over there

16. chcsep

chcsep Member

My problem was due to a printer driver that didn't properly close. The Xerox Job Tracker Service was/is not closing properly. Right-clicking it in the taskbar "notification area" (next to the clock) and closing it seems to be an adequate workaround.