How to start up Windows in bootcamp partition under Parallels 4.0?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Manatee, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Manatee

Manatee Member

Hi!

I just got Parallels 4.0, and installed it. I've searched the built-in Help and this support site, but I'm not finding out how to start up my bootcamp partition from OS X. I found another thread here that something like "the procedure outlined in a sticky post is no longer applicable". That process wouldn't help me anyway since I'm using Vista (SP1).

So, is there a simple "How To" that says how to do it?

I've been using "the competing product" on this machine (new MacBook Pro), but Parallels says it is significantly faster, so I want to give it a shot.

Thanks!

Peter

2. Manatee

Manatee Member

Never mind... I figured it out. I didn't realize I had to go into the "Create a Virtual Machine" process to get it. Once in that process, one of the choices is to use a Windows installation on an existing Bootcamp partition. Easy enough! Now I have to go check out the performance versus the other guys. :)

3. fabforrest

fabforrest Member

well, i can't figure it out.

installed parallels 4.0. have boot camp partition mounted on the desktop. started and validated parallels 4.0.

got the welcome screen, which i think should not have happened (unless i am reading something wrong).

from HELP

If you install Parallels Desktop on a Mac computer with a Boot Camp Windows XP/SP2 or Windows Vista (SP1) partition, and Parallels Desktop detects that there are no virtual machines on the computer, it automatically creates a new virtual machine for this Boot Camp partition and places it to the following location:

<Username>/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp

this did not happen.

ok, i took a different route on the welcome screen (clicked on Start Using Parallels Desktop), the My Boot Camp file was created, i was kicked into the New Virtual Machine Assistant, but am confused about what to do next. do i need to use my XP install disc?

reluctant to go further. HELP!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008