PD 4.0 - Vista x64 BootCamp - Didn't work

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StewBC, Nov 11, 2008.

1. StewBC

StewBC Bit poster

Installing PD4 on a MacPro with 8GB Ram and 10.5.5 into the BootCamp partition, where I have Vista x64 installed (clean - no Parallels installation before. No Parallels tools yet, obviously). Don't know if it matters, but I had MacFUSE and NTFS-3G installed on OS X.

1st issue - The mouse wouldn't work at all. If I unplug and re-plug it, I can select the VM and then have the mouse in the VM. This was needed to click okay to installing unsigned drivers.
    2nd issue - At the end, the shutdown took forever. As the VM rebooted, Parallels said that it cannot see HDD1. It then sits at a prompt trying to do DHCP. As an aside - I then booted into BootCamp and the parallels tools installer tried to run, but said it cannot communicate with the VM and rebooted for me.
    3rd issue - When I booted into BootCamp, Vista kept telling me that the disc is corrupted and that there are issues with \$Mft. I had to boot off of the install disk and run chkdsk to fix these issues.

I uninstalled NTFS-3G and tried to create a new VM, again into BootCamp. This time, the network wouldn't work and Parallels tools says it can't install because it says it needs the network to install. I still had the mouse issue. I could, when the mouse is active in OS X click on the USB icon on the VM window and check the mouse (connected to the keyboard btw) to make the mouse work in the VM. Obviously then pressing CTRL-ALT didn't return the mouse to OS X. I would have to unplug and re-plug it again. I did wait considerable time, as prompted, before I tried to log in so that the keyboard and mouse can be set up. Maybe not long enough?

On the plus side, I then tried doing this on a machine with XP BootCamp tonight, and that worked like a charm. I didn't see any unsigned driver dialogs. I just let it sit, after clicking my login and it went through its paces, rebooted and all was well, with XP BootCamp.

Bottom line - after several attempts, I could not get Vista x64 in BootCamp to work, at all.

2. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

I have a nearly identical setup with a MacBook Pro late-2008 4GB RAM, 10.5.5, PD 4.0.3522, MacFUSE 1.7+NTFS3g, and Boot Camp with Vista x64 SP1 on a 140GB partition. The VM config is for 1 processor and 2GB RAM. I have been unable to install Parallels Tools at all. There have been a few failure cases, all occurring after booting into the Vista x64 Boot Camp partition:

1 - Vista reports that the Parallels Tools installer disk is corrupt.
    2 - The Parallels Tools installer crashes shortly after starting.
    3 - The Parallels Tools installer fails to write a file or directory to the Boot Camp partition due to a disk error.

Just in case it was an issue with my copy of Parallels, I uninstalled, downloaded a new copy of the Parallels 4 disk image, and re-installed. The same situation still occurs.

In short, I agree, Vista x64 with Boot Camp does not work at all.

I am using a competing product that does support this setup, but I really want the better integration that Parallels offers. The windowing integration is full of glitches with the competing product. I wish I tried out my configuration before actually paying for the upgrade to 4.0.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  3. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

Another update for me --

I had to run Vista x64 Recovery from the original DVD to get my Boot Camp partition into a bootable state again. Those failed installs seem to have corrupted this partition. MacFUSE+NTFS3g also failed to mount this partition until this repair was complete.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Same hear, my version 4 will not work with my bootcamp partion, I can not install parallel tools, my system is a 2008 Mac Pro with Windows XP Pro SP£

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try following, if you are getting in loop installation process of Parallels Tools
    Login to Virtual Machine, and cancel installation.
    From add/remove programs remove Parallels Tools
    Restart, cancel again, and install manually
    from Virtual machine menu, or attaching image from /Library/Parallels/Tools attach prl-tools.win.iso

6. lolp

lolp Junior Member

I have spent about 5 hours on this so far, I have been on the phone to Russia tech support for two hours, the version 4,0 is built to import the virtual machine from an external boot camp partition, I have booted up in windows xp native drive , then removed parrallels tools, then booted up in os x , start parallels 4.0 and then re install new tools, it still failed. There are hundreds of failures, version 4.0 is seriously not sorted yet, so may be I will need to wait for at least three build upgrades, Please let me know what you think, If version 4.0 is 100% reliable then Parallels 4,0 WILL be the absolute best app for a Mac/XP user , regards

7. John@Parallels

Please see my post above

8. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Do you mean your 12.24 am post

9. John@Parallels

Try following, if you are getting in loop installation process of Parallels Tools
    Login to Virtual Machine, and cancel installation.
    From add/remove programs remove Parallels Tools
    Restart, cancel again, and install manually
    from Virtual machine menu, or attaching image from /Library/Parallels/Tools attach prl-tools.win.iso

10. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

11. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Sorry your instructions are not understood,
    Login to VM, do you mean start from within parallels app
    Cancel, where in what app, what tool bar,
    Add/remove programs, do you mean add /remove programs in windows xp, control panel

I think I have completed all of this today with tech support, I will try again to do this if you can explain a little more clearly

12. John@Parallels

Login to VM and cancel Parallels Tools installation, if it starts,
    add/remove program from Windows XP

13. lolp

lolp Junior Member

I can not login into the VM, as when I click login the, my name in windows xp to start and open xP the mouse does not activate, so I can start up windows xp on the VM , but I can not open xp and log in, Today I was able to fully open the xp VM and I saw the parallels tools being installed.then the wizard will run, and then the tools are being installed, however it still, fails, so then when I close the VM, boot up in native xp, remove parrallels tools and restart in os x , then started Paralles 4,0. open VM, then I can not login into xp from the VM,

14. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

This does not seem to be the issue with Vista x64. Parallels Tools never completes the install for me, so there is nothing to Add/Remove. I have tried both the tools ISO and the installer copied from it running right off of the partition. The config with Vista x64 and Boot Camp is just not working and it leads to corruption of the partition.

Unless there is a setting that can be changed, this one will need to be a software fix for the VM. Let me know if there is anything to try, or even a simple acknowledgement that this configuration has an issue. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with support either (#614388), as they have misread this thread.

15. lolp

lolp Junior Member

I have spent over 3 days trying to load Version 4,0. I have requested that support does acknowledge the fact that this is a serious error, and for them to give me a reply as to that in my case of trying to load in via Custom Installation , import via Boot-Camp, that this DOES NOT work.I have also asked if they are accepting that they need to make future builds and corrections , as this release is not working. Regards

16. hkirschk

hkirschk Bit poster

The upgrade process from Parallels v3 to v4 more or less shreddered my Boot Camp partition with a corrupt NTFS file system, booting from XP CD and applying chkdsk from the repair console could not repair it. I switched over to a non-Boot Camp VM, which runs flawlessly. Parallels v3 was very reliable running on a Boot Camp partition, v4 seems to have some problems with that. MacBook Pro 17", early 2008, 4 GB RAM.

17. lolp

lolp Junior Member

Your post above confirms my thoughts, that version for is built wrongly, so I will NOT go with this untill they have at least three 0r four upgrades, thanks for your reply

18. John@Parallels

update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

19. lolp

lolp Junior Member

NEW Build installed

NO< NO< NO< Bloody NO, is DOES NOT WORK, same issue, all loads in , tools load in, then click the mouse , and NO tools installed, I can not be bothered to go to support agin, If support want to call me then use lolp@mac.com

20. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

Build 3540 seems to have solved my Parallels Tools installation issues with Vista 64 + Boot Camp. Hopefully, the stability is there too. I'll post a follow-up here if I see any major issues.

There is an update issue with Coherence under Expose, but it is better than the competition. Basically, window title bars and scroll bars on higher layered windows show through under expose (they are not refreshed on the lower layered windows).