win 2k screen size

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by klkds, Nov 20, 2008.

1. klkds

klkds Bit poster

Installed latest Parallels and Win 2000 Pro SP4
    Initially it comes up in 640x480 window and will let me change it in windows setup to 800x640 but it reverts back and can't go higher.
    In Parallels config for the win 2k os it shows the memory at 256mg but everything is grey and I can't change anything, video says 32mg and again will not let me change it

Any ideas how to fix this or do I need more ram

iMax 2ghz duocore 1gig ram

thanks

2. Nadine McSim

Nadine McSim Junior Member

Please install Parallels Tools inside your Virtual Machine. To do this, click Virtual Machine -> Install Parallels Tools menu. Installation will be done automatically.

3. klkds

klkds Bit poster

Thanks, that works good. Still can't alter the setting for memory or video in config but I can change screen res in windows.

Another quick question, when I create a shortcut on the PC side it creates on the mac desktop a icon with the name.lnk and when I exit out of parallels it remains. I tried moving them to a directory but then the links do not work in Windows until I move the .lnk's back to the mac desktop. Can't find anything on this in the online help files. Could be an issue if you like to use shortcuts on the PC side like I do. Any ideas?

thanks

4. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hi, kikds,

most probably you cannot manage some entries in configuration because you are doing it while the virtual machine is running. Stop it and you will have a full control.
    As for links:
    I suppose, you have Shared profile enabled and Mac Desktop shared with Windows. Switch it off and links won't be placed to Mac Desktop.
    See the details here:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23544.htm

5. klkds

klkds Bit poster

Thanks turning it off worked. maybe it should be added to the manual so if someone (like I did) searches on 'shortcuts' which at the moment does not find anything helpful.

thanks again for your very quick help

ps link that you sent does not work. I found it by starting parallels and going to help from there