Solidworks / HASP Key Issues - USB Weirdness

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MadOverlord, Jul 11, 2006.

1. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

I ran into an issue with the HASP 2.17 dongle and Solidworks that's driving me up the wall. I've got a workaround, but there's still a problem.

The Problem: Solidworks complains that the HASP dongle isn't there, or is corrupt, and quits on you. How rude!

Here's what I did:

Enabled the device in Devices -> USB... (both after Windows boots and during the boot, it makes no difference)

Launched Solidworks. The first time I did this, it worked fine!

But the second time (after a Windows reboot), it complains that the dongle isn't there/corrupt.

So I went to the manufacturer's site and installed the latest HASP drivers. And Solidworks launched fine. Yeah!

But the second time (after a reboot), same problem.

I can't reinstall the drivers again, since they are up to date.

Windows Add Hardware control panel says "The device cannot start"

Went to the device manager, uninstalled the Aladdin USB key, went to Devices -> USB to disconnect it, got the "USB device is being used by another process", did it again, the device disconnects, connected it again, Windows notices it, and the popup balloon says there's a problem. #^#@*&^#@*!!!

OK, so this time I try disabling the device and re-enabling it in the Device Manager. This time something different happens - a second device, Aladdin HASP key, appears. And now Solidworks launches.

Weird. I'm glad I got it working, but clearly something flaky is happening. More details upon request.

2. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

HASP key issues seem to be prevalent. The best solution that I've seen so far is the disable/reenable in hardware manager trick -- I've had to do the same thing for my Aladdin hasp. I don't think a fix for this is out yet.

3. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

Well, at least now there's a thread in this forum that gives the workaround for the next poor schlub... Thanks for the confirm.

4. denis

denis Bit poster

I was one of those "poor schlubs" and the solution to the problem, at least in my case, is in the following thread

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=23853#post23853