USB Dev / Suse 9.3

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Kai.Teuber, May 9, 2006.

1. Kai.Teuber

Kai.Teuber Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running Parallels on a Suse 9.3 and Windows Xp Pro. as a guest system. I need a USB Fritz card within the Windows. When I start Parallels as root Win Xp finds the USB Device. With normal user rights the USB device isn't working.
    I've read the help about this problem, but I don't get what I have to do. Can someone please tell me how I can make the needed changes to the USB Devices ?

Regards,
    Kai Teuber

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  2. Nadine McSim

Nadine McSim Junior Member

To fix the issue please do the following:
    1. Create a group and include into it users who have to have access to USB devices.
    2. In the /etc/fstab file edit the string that mounts the usbfs. Devgid parameter should contain the identifier of the group created in the previous step.
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=<USB gid>,devmode=0664 0 0
    3. Open your /etc/init.d/boot.localfs, locate section with a comment "Mount local filesystems in '/etc/fstab/'", add line
    modprobe usbcore
    before the line `mount -av -t nonfs,noproc,nodevpts,nosmbfs -O no_netdev`.
    4. Restart your Linux primary OS.

3. xsenon

xsenon Bit poster

Hi Nadine! :)

I am using Ubuntu and tried to follow your guide.

But i faced a problem. On my system there is no "/etc/init.d/boot.localfs". What can i do now??

xsenon :)

4. Negative

Negative Bit poster

xsenon, adding modprobe command in /etc/init.d/boot.localfs is not necessary
    you may add this command in any startup scripts according to your distro or even run 'modprobe usbcore' manually