Ubuntu Linux 6.06 Server

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Steven Jomiel, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Steven Jomiel

Steven Jomiel Bit poster

I tried to install this several times, but no joy.

First of all, it fails to do a graphical install, there is a message about the framebuffer, but it flashes by too quickly to be sure.

Second, after the text-mode install completes, it hangs forever trying to boot the kernel. I tried both linux debian and linux 2.6 kernel options when creating the VM.

Running parallels RC2.

I tried using less than 512mb as well. It hangs at the "Configure iputils-arping" before ever getting to the kernel boot stage.

Has anyone done this successfully?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  2. crispoe

crispoe Bit poster

I am having the same issue... I am still going to play some more... i will let you know what I find.

3. ernie

ernie Member

Yeah there is another thread yeasterday about problems with Ubunto server. I suspected it might be the kernel version it runs. Not sure how to tell.

4. knippers

knippers Bit poster

same problem here, will post back if I find a solution.

5. Shuffle

Shuffle Bit poster

Hi there,

so, it happened not much, so I try to set back focus on this thread, pointing to the other mentioned thread about problems around Ubuntu server 6.06:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread2312.html

Any comments on this from Parallels?

Thanks in advance, kind regards,
    Shuffle

6. ernie

ernie Member

A snippet from the ServerFaq:

There are several kernels on the installer, I am not sure how you select the default desktop kernel to install instead of the server one.

More info:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelServerRoadmap

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  7. ernie

ernie Member

Does anyone know if you can specify that the normal installer kernel is used instead of the server one that hangs?

8. ernie

ernie Member

Anyone tried this with the new beta yet to see if it's fixed?

I tried it with VMware Server and it worked fine with it.

9. rinconj

rinconj Member

I don't know how much the server version differs from a non-server one.

I have a non-server copy installed and it took me around several hours to get everything right (installation wasn't always smooth and it seemed to break randomly), but it was still easier to install than Solaris 10.

One great thing about Parallels is I can save the VMs and don't need to worry about installation once it's done.

Initially on Parallels's Linux option, I chose 2.6 kernel and now I just changed to 2.4 and it still seems to boot all right.

10. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

The Server version of Ubunutu uses a slightly different kernel. This issue doesn't only effect Parallels, either. I've seen a instructions somewhere on how to get Server 6.06 installed.

11. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

12. kananga

kananga Bit poster

Thanks for the link to that fix. Has anyone tried this with Parallels and Ubuntu Server?

13. florian

florian Bit poster

Beautiful - this worked like a charm - I'm now seeing my ubuntu server login prompt running in Parallels VM on my MBP.

Great community and great product. Keep on. :)

Florian.