Starting a virtual machine crashes Mac Pro (new Intel tower)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by faddante, Aug 9, 2006.

1. awilliamsny

awilliamsny Bit poster

DITTO! Parallels unusable for me on Mac Pro.
    Hello Parallels team, can you please help here?

2. boulie

boulie Bit poster

quirky...

i managed to get my xp vm working in parallels earlier today...read my earlier post.
    but it is quirky. sometimes i get "unable to connect to hypervisor" - i reboot, and the VM starts just fine. sometimes the VM boots just fine w/o a VT message...sometimes i'll get the message.

i attempted all day yesterday to get the program to install and run. today, i installed xp (which gave me a KP @ the windows startup screen just like everyone here is saying) but after i moved the RAM partition down to 2 gig w/the maxmem command and rebooted, i haven't had a single KP (knock on wood)

I read thru the thread and finally got my internet and network connections working, and working quite well i might add...thx to posters...drbrog and eodchop.

maybe just my "good" karma catching up w/me!

here's hoping that after perusing this threat the P-team wil post a stable update soon.

B

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  3. jelevy

jelevy Junior Member

Didn't work for me.

4. dracula

dracula Member

I got the Parallels Mac Desktop running on my 3 GHz Mac Pro but I only have Internet access to Google.com and Cox.com. Any other sites do not work. Even CNN.COM does not work.

Any help out there?

I see posts here from people that are pretty knowledgeable about networks. I and many others would appreciate a complete sentences description of the setups required and make sure you delineate properly what is done on the Mac side and what is done on the PC side.

The PC side also has an additional complication that there are different Windows OSs. I would appreciate clear instructions for Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

PS I am awed by the OS transitions when Full Screen mode is used. Pretty neat Parallels.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  5. eodchop

eodchop Junior Member

OS's running so far w/out complcations

So far i have been able to run the following Os's on parallels w/out any troubles.

pclinuxos

Sabayon Linux

Mandriva One

Fedora Core 5

Ubuntu Dapper in live CD mode only

XP pro

XP Media Center Edition

Win 98.

Edgy Eft and Suse 10.1 do not run for one reason or another. Email me if you have any more questions about these Os's and I can tell you what i did/didnt do to get them working.

Good Luck and remember that this is a Beta. Once we see RC1 there should be much better stability and functioning.

6. rufosx

rufosx Member

Thursday night I could do nothing but KP with this beta release. I've got a 2.66 w/ 3 GB RAM. I have not installed any previous version of PD.

Tried just about everything : sleep and wakeup, recreating the VMs, different settings, etc. Finally, I moved the VMs to my primary disk, and tried running with Vt-x completely off. This got me at least part of the way through the XP install. I restarted the VM with Vt-x on and finished the install. Got the Parallel's tools installed, XP patched up to date and everything was smooth sailing after that.

So, getting the VM setup and Xp installed was a massive headache, but after that, it was fine.

7. boulie

boulie Bit poster

maybe this'll help drac..

I only have Internet access to Google.com and Cox.com. Any other sites do not work. Even CNN.COM does not work.

Any help out there?

this worked for me:
    on the Mac:
    System Preferences- Sharing- Internet, check "Ethernet Adaptor (en2)"
    Click "start" to start sharing

on the PC:
    In the Parallels console, under network adapter, select Host-Only networking

hopefully it will work for you too...

B

8. dracula

dracula Member

How did you get around the firmware blocking virtualization?

9. dracula

dracula Member

Thank you very much. I really appreciate this. Clear directions that work!

One more question, how do you change the Control Panel when the Edit and Save buttons are inactive. I suspend the VM, change the Control Panel settings and then turn the VM on.

Is that the way to do it or is there a better way?

10. dracula

dracula Member

Help again please.

I cannot get an @ letter in the Windows window. I get the " instead. I went to the language Control Panel and Chose US English instead of English English.

11. boulie

boulie Bit poster

slower way...

as unstable as this program is...i'd stop the vm, change the settings then restart it.

i may be paranoid...but i'm scared of seeing the "cannot connect to hypervisor" error in my dreams!

glad the network stuff worked...

B

p.s. haven't worked at all with the language thing...sorry

12. dracula

dracula Member

I cannot see my Tivo and the Slingbox on my network. I would appreciate some help from network experts. I have Internet access. The network Adapter is set to Host-only networking;Virtual Network Adapter on the PC and Ethernet Adapter (en2) on the Mac side.

My Mac Pro is connected with an ethernet cable to my Airport base, which is connected to my cable modem, while the Tivo and the Slingbox are on the network using wireless adapters.

I am guessing that Host-only networking might be the problem since I think it means my host (the Mac) is the only one seen by the Windows XP OS.

Is that correct or is there another setup problem causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  13. diago1969

diago1969 Bit poster

Finally got it working!

I finally found my problems with getting it to work. Even after setting the maxmem=2000, it still KP'd my Mac Pro. Then after reading a couple posts pointing to Cisco VPN Client as a prob, I uninstalled it and still got the KP. So, I did a clean install of OS X and then set the maxmem=2000 and installed Parallels.
    Now it's working! Still have to sleep it 1st to avoid the VT-x prob, but it works. :D

Everything is working, USB, sound, networking and shares.

As for the Cisco VPN Client.... I installed it in the virt XP and it works perfectly in it, allowing me to remote into my clients servers. So, for me, all is good, but I'm sure it will be great when Parallels gets the bugs out, which they will in due time.

If you're gonna live on the edge, you have to be willing to bleed a little.... :eek:

14. jelevy

jelevy Junior Member

Success!!

I'm not sure if Parallels has posted a second release of the MacPro version but build a1884 appears to be working. So far zero kernel panics.

J

15. dracula

dracula Member

I installed the Cisco VPN client and did not have any KPs with it. What about the VT-x problem? When I first started it said the firmware hads disabled it. What does it take to enable it?

16. pjmann

pjmann Bit poster

Hypervisor Error with new RC version 1884

I have a standard Mac Pro (1 GB ram (2*512), 250 GB HDD).

I have installed parallels (from the install disc), upgraded it with Parallels-Desktop-1884-Mac.dmg, rebooted, and still get the "Unable to communicate with hypervisor!" error.

I have put the Mac Pro to sleep...same error, rebooted...same error.
    Re-installed the original version, upgraded again, rebooted...and still the hypervisor error.

Then I completely uninstalled this mess (including deleting all the VM files from the Library), and repeated the rebooting process...same error. What is going on? Can someone please give me a step-by-step proceedure to get this working....could I have a MacLemon ???: confused:

Thank you in advance. ...:cool:

17. dracula

dracula Member

I got everything working and here is the setup ( I understand that everybody may have a different setup):

Mac
    Share your connection from Buit-in Ethernet 2 to

Computers using

Built-In Ethernet 1
    Ethernet Adapter (en2)

PC
    Network Adapter - Bridged Ethernet; en0:Eternet Adapter

I do not understand what this means but everything works: Internet access, Cisco VPN, TivotoGO, Sling Player.

18. diago1969

diago1969 Bit poster

Put the Mac to sleep and then bring it back to wake state. Then start the virt pc and it will not give the VT-x error. You have to do this after every reboot, until Apple gets a fix for it.

19. dracula

dracula Member

Thanks it works now.

BTW, I found out that I have to type the " key to get the @ character and I get the english pound sign when I type the # key.

Does anybody else have this problem?

20. STim

STim Bit poster

Hey guys,

Please read this thread if you experience kernel panics on Mac Pros.

Best regards,
    Tim