Can't get workstation to recognize CD for install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Zuul, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Zuul

Zuul Bit poster

I'm trying to set up a new VM and have a real CD to install WinXP from. However, I'm not sure what to enter in the CD/DVD-ROM Drive: field. Normally this would be the mounted CD volume, but that doesn't work. I also tried D: but again no luck. How do I get my CD recognized so I can boot the VM with it and install Win XP?

Can't wait for this to work; so far it looks great!

~ Dana

2. sirdir

sirdir Junior Member

I made a dmg with the disk tool (don't know how it's exactly called in english). I had to change the extention from .dmg to .iso though for Parallels to recognize the image.

3. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

This is known issue. It will be fixed soon.
    Here is workaround for this problem:
    1. Insert real cd to drive.
    2. Run Parallels and it will detect your real cdrom.

This mean you must insert cd to drive before run Parallels Workstation :)

When you save configuration with real cdrom you can use it in future without this steps, e.g. insert disk on fly.

4. Zuul

Zuul Bit poster

Thanks!

Wow, what a quick response! That worked great, CD was recognized and Win XP is being installed as I type. Thanks again! :D

~ Dana

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

This approach is not working for me. I have tried setup with and without the CD/DVD-ROM inserted prior to starting PW, and in either case, PW does not recognize the drive. I can make a disk image and use that approach I guess. So far, though, this looks impressive.

6. schmidp

schmidp Member

hi,

do you plan to release more beta versions till the final release one?
    is there a time plan for the final release?

greets philipp

7. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Yes we plan, but there is no time plan now.

8. RickP

RickP Bit poster

I am also unable to get PW to read the CD. When you mention making a disk image, how is that done? Using Disk Utility?

Thanks
    Rick

9. markfc

markfc Bit poster

Inserting the cd before running parallels fixed the issue for me too.

10. Craig B

Craig B Bit poster

Yeah -- Using Disk utility, you can create an image of any cd you enter.

"New - Image from Folder - Select CD"

I've done this, however, for my red hat disks, and the Virtual doesn't recognize the disks as bootable media. Using the actual disk from the suggestion above (inserting it first, then starting Parallel) works.

11. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I followed these instructions but even though the Parallels recognised the CD-ROM, it still won't boot. I get the message "No boot device available - press enter to continue"
    I have a CD with XP/SP1 inserted in the drive.

David Jameson

12. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Never mind - I changed the bootup sequence to put the CD ROM first and now it recognises my XP CD......I don't know why this was necessary though - surely it should have determined that it couldn't boot from floppy or hard drive and gone to the CD ROM anyway.
    D

13. roscoe13

roscoe13 Bit poster

No boot device

OK, I've tried the put the disk in before you start parallels, it now recognizes my cdrom drive. I've got boot sequence set to CDROM first. I've tried 5 CDs, all of which boot just fine on the Wife's Dell, and two bootable ISO images (which must be good, two of the 5 CDs were made from these ISOs) and all I get is the no boot device error.

OSX 10.4.6, core duo mini...

Peace

14. roscoe13

roscoe13 Bit poster

All 5 of the CDs boot just fine under Qemu...

Ideas?

Peace

15. rthrash

rthrash Bit poster

I had the same exact thing happen and solved it by clicking on the CD icon in the bottom and changing it to the listed device... and viola!

16. jnmowery

jnmowery Bit poster

XP Install

Ok maybe I am stupid, but I got the XP Install disk recognized, it formats the partion, copies the files over, then indicates the system will reboot. I does and starts the instal all over. I thought maybe the CD needed to be removed so I managed to eject the CD ROM prior to the reboor finishing, but then got that no boot device was found.

What am I doing wrong??

thanks!

17. apexfork

apexfork Bit poster

I have the same problem with a 17" iMac. I'm using a RedHat 9 Boot CD, and a Win XP w/SP1 Boot CD. Both are known to boot on beige-boxes, but I get the no boot device error.

Any ideas...?

Thanks in advance

18. sspooner

sspooner Bit poster

I'd keep trying, over and over.
    I had some issues installing just XP, I get random read errors from the CD, despite being a known good CD and known good drive.

I tried maybe four times and the problem went away, it might be worth trying boot several times.
    Do you get to the LILO prompt ?
    I'm going to be installing Ubuntu tomorrow, I'll check back here with my results.

19. jnmowery

jnmowery Bit poster

I figured out my problem....it didn't like I put the HD image on my Windows XP partion. I movd it to the default location and all is wellw ith the world.

20. roscoe13

roscoe13 Bit poster

I've tried each of the CDs multiple times.. It's not even making an attempt, never even spins up the drive before the no boot device error... :mad:

Peace