How to use my CD-ROM drive?

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Richard Fish, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Richard Fish

Richard Fish Bit poster

I have parallels 2.2.2072 installed on Gentoo linux. My physical PATA CD-ROM drive goes through the SATA chipset, so it appears as a SCSI drive, at /dev/sr0. The option to "Use a physical CD/DVD-ROM drive" is disabled, despite the fact that my user is a member of the cdrom group, there is a symlink from /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0, and my user has no problems reading from the CD.

Any ideas on how I can use this drive with parallels?

2. Richard Fish

Richard Fish Bit poster

Never mind. I hacked the .pvs file to change the image= to /dev/cdrom and media= to 1, and it worked fine. Thanks to parallels for making the configuration file plain text!! :)

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

Try creating a symlink to /dev/hdc instead.

4. soldidude

soldidude Bit poster

This worked.

Parallels crew - this has been an absolute pain in the behind and YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME that this is the fix.

I have searched for hours. Only thing I can find from your documentations is the user must have privs to access the cd-rom and to chmod /dev/cdrom - c'mon! Ridiculous.

There is obviously a bug- fix it!

BTW - as a paying customer, it would be great for you to answer emails to support. I have sent 2 on a couple other issues and it has been months w/no reply.

:mad:

5. idauto-john

idauto-john Bit poster

Thanks so much

As usual, the forums come through when parallels just absolutely fails.

I got a call and an e-mail from a parallels sales guy today. I may have to call him back and let him know they won't be getting any more of my money until they do something about their support.