Enterprise linux : time out of sync = no CVS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by moyse, Nov 10, 2006.

1. moyse

moyse Bit poster

Hi all,

I'm having problems which are making parallels very hard for me to use: I'm running Enterprise Linux (actually it's scientificlinux.org, but this is based on EL) and I cannot use CVS easily because I keep getting e.g.:
    cvs [diff aborted]: kerberos authentication failed: Time is out of bounds (krb_rd_req)

I'm running ntpd with the correct time-server set (and in fact its the same as on my OSX desktop, where CVS works). If I keep trying 'cvs co' etc it sometimes works (usually just after I restart ntpd), but it can take 20 attempts!

Does anyone have any tips? It's a bit of a disaster not to be able to use CVS properly.

(Oh, and I frequently see: "set_rtc_mmss: can't update from BLAH to BLAH" - which may or may not be related)

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!

Cheers.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

The time sync problem appears relevant. Can you increase the Kerboros window? (As in do you have the authority -- it's technically possible).

3. moyse

moyse Bit poster

If that has to be changed at the server side, no I definitely don't have authority (and I'm extremely unlikely to be able to get anyone to do it for me).

4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Try installing the network time protocol daemon in your VM.

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/ntpd.1.html

I can think of two ways of configuring this:

1) You could install and enable a network time server on your Mac, then configure ntpd on your VM to use to the Mac's time server once a minute or so. Very easy to use, but kind of a pain to setup, I don't know of any network time servers that have a GUI.

2) Run ntpd in your VM normally. You will have to manually restart the daemon when you unsuspend your VM, which can be a pain, but it works very well.

I use option number 2, mostly because I am too lazy to figure out how to get a ntp server running on my macbook.

5. mcg

mcg Hunter

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006