Shared Networking not Working! No Internet

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by shawnp, Feb 7, 2010.

?

What Networking Connection are You Using

1. Shared Networking (same as Mac)

66.7%
  2. Bridged - Default Adaptor

22.2%
  3. Bridged - "other" (Airpot / Ethernet)

11.1%
  4. Host-Only (maybe with Internet Sharing)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shawnp

shawnp Bit poster

This has been painful. My internet connection on the Guest Windows side stopped working. I was using Parallels 4. I reinstalled Tools, to no avail. I rebooted tons of times, both Mac and VM. I even went back to a Snap Shot and it worked at first. Then after VM reboot, the internet stopped. I assumed it was product bug so I went so far as updating to Parallels Desktop 5. Yeah same problem remained!

I have read all the threads and tried what I think is everything:
    * Attempted to uninstall the Network Device on Guest OS - the VM does not like this. It typically fails.
    * Re-created a network adaptor from the Parallels Configuration. Does nothing.
    * Hard coded and went with DHCP on Mac Network side for the Parallels Guest Ethernet Adaptor #0.
    * I even SAFE-MODED it and remove all network devices. When reboot it works until next boot.

By not working I mean the Network device shows the Parallel Ethernet Adaptor. The networking control panel shows the "enabled" adaptor connector to a local area connection. The status is connected. But zero packets are move in or out. And if you click repair - it fails immediately saying no TCP/IP connection. >ipconfig /all returns nothing.

I would not be surprised if there is something on Mac side I need to tweak, but I don't know where to start.

I am running 10.5.8 with Parallels 5 for Windows XP.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It may be WindowsXP problem, try to reset TCP/IP:

To do it, please open Command Prompt in Windows (Start > Run.. > type 'cmd' > OK)

And enter following command:

netsh winsock reset

Restart Windows and use next command:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart Windows once again.

3. shawnp

shawnp Bit poster

This worked! You are a God-send. Thank you and everyone should be aware of this.
    I spent an entire weekend day fooling with this and it was that easy.
    All Hail - the Parallels Forum / Team!

4. shawnp

shawnp Bit poster

This worked wonderfully. Thank you so much for that advice.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Glad to hear that issue is solved -)

6. ShahryarR

ShahryarR Bit poster

what about certain subdomains? is that a virus or something? for certain sites, a subdomain works while another doesn't. But they all work fine on the host Mac OS X. Anyway to fix that? or do I just have to delete and make a new parallel image?