Parallels Desktop Fails to Start

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JaniL, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JaniL

JaniL Bit poster

When I try to start parallels desktop nothing happens and I have a message in the console:
    8/5/09 7:37:02 PM com.apple.launchd[119] ([0x0-0x1bd1bd].com.parallels.desktop.console[12720]) Exited with exit code: 9

I tried reinstalling but that changed nothing.

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

Hello,

Please follow the steps mentioned in the below article in order to uninstall Parallels Desktop completely :

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5714

After uninstalling please go ahead and install Parallels Desktop again.

3. JaniL

JaniL Bit poster

Followed the steps and uninstalled and re-installed. No awail. The very same problem persists.

4. JaniL

JaniL Bit poster

Any idea what is wrong? It seems that in many problems the suggested work around is reinstall, but this does not work here.

5. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

6. JaniL

JaniL Bit poster

I downloaded the file and while trying to run it I get:

$ open Cleanup\ Kernel\ Extensions.app
    LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10828 for the file /Users/wolf/temp/Cleanup Kernel Extensions.app.

7. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please follow these steps in regards to the issue:

Restart MAC, don't start any applications. Uninstall Parallels Desktop using the .dmg file.
    Now, please follow these steps :

1. Open Finder.
    2. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities.
    3. Choose MAC HD.
    4. Choose repair disk permissions.
    After running the repair disk permissions , restart the computer. Install Parallels Desktop.

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810

8. JaniL

JaniL Bit poster

Ok, Tried that one more time and it does not work.

9. ravenstar

ravenstar Bit poster

I had a similar problem after upgrading to Snow Leopard even though I had an up-to-date working version of Parallels 4 before the update. I found that somewhere along the way I had lost read permission on /usr/local. Make sure you have permission to read /usr/local/lib/libprl_sdk.dylib and manually fix any directory permissions that aren't right. In my case chmod o+rx /usr/local fixed the problem.

Hope this helps!

10. JaniL

JaniL Bit poster

There is no /usr/local/lib/libprl_sdk.dylib in my system. This is a Mac Pro running OS X version 10.5.8

11. DaleE

DaleE Member

/usr/local/lib/libprl_sdk.dylib

Same with me using Leopard 10.5.8. I enter the command "cd /usr/local/lib/libprl_sdk.dylib" in terminal and it cannot find it. Searching in finder for "lib" only finds that directory under the "Documents" directory.

Please provide more complete information.