visual effects on Ubuntu 10.04?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by schvenk, Mar 24, 2010.

1. schvenk

schvenk Member

Just installed Ubuntu 10.04 in a Parallels 5 VM. It works well overall, but when I try to enable Visual Effects (and after it does a search for drivers) I get the error, "Desktop effects could not be enabled."

I'm guessing this is an issue with the Parallels display driver? Is there another driver I could install that would work, or some other fix?

Thanks!

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

schvenk,

Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 places libGL.so* to /usr/lib/mesa/ and configures dynamic loader so that it takes precedence over more conventional /usr/lib/libGL.so*.
    The simplest solution is to edit /etc/ld.so.conf putting /usr/lib on the first line, and then run ldconfig to rebuild loader cache.

3. schvenk

schvenk Member

Thanks for the help. I changed /usr/lib/mesa to /usr/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf/GL.conf and am now able to enable visual effects...mostly. Transparency works, wacky window drag effects work, but I don't get any drop shadows. Any thoughts?

4. Juan PabloP

Juan PabloP Bit poster

My Xorg is dead after install the Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 10.04 beta1/beta2, how fix that?

5. GilbertoO

GilbertoO Junior Member

Any luck with the drop shadows?

6. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

7. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I too want to make Desktop Effects enabled, but am a bit confused as to how to edit ld.so.conf. Here are the contents of it:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

How would I edit this so that Desktop Effects will work? This seems to be different from the file as described in previous posts. Thanks.

8. GilbertoO

GilbertoO Junior Member

Hi, you should edit the file: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf 
    You can delete (or comment) the original lines and add:
    Code:
    /usr/lib

9. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Didn't work

I edited the file as you suggested, but still cannot enable Desktop effects. Any other suggestions?

10. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Spoke too soon

Sorry, I spoke too soon - I hadn't run the ldconfig command. Having done this, visual effects not only works, but so does the mouse component of Parallels Tools. Excellent!

11. GilbertoO

GilbertoO Junior Member

Great. Did you get drop shadows on the Windows? I couldn't make it appear.

12. kraized

kraized Bit poster

I can't get the drop shadows to enable either. Everything else seems to work fine. :/

13. Adam Webster

Adam Webster Bit poster

Hi

I am trying to learn more about linux and I was just wondering how you run the ldconfig command. I have found a few ways to try by searching but none of them work for me.

14. GilbertoO

GilbertoO Junior Member

Hi Adam,

Open the terminal (from menu: Applications > Accessories > Terminal)

Type:
    sudo ldconfig

Enter the super user password (normally it's the same as your) - sudo allows you to execute a command as the superuser.

15. Bradrox

Bradrox Bit poster

Visual effects.

I am also having the exact same problem and I am trying to fix it using the suggestions Ive read on here. I put in idconfig in the terminal and got this /sbin/ldconfig.real: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied What should I do?

16. GilbertoO

GilbertoO Junior Member

Did you run ldconfig as a super user?
    Code:
    sudo ldconfig

17. Bradrox

Bradrox Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

18. Bradrox

Bradrox Bit poster

Yeah. Now when I do it it doesnt do anything. Just goes to the next line.

19. GilbertoO

GilbertoO Junior Member

@Bradrox: ldconfig shouldn't print any message. If you want to see the output, run:
    Code:
    sudo ldconfig -v

Didn't it work for you? Can you enable visual effects?

20. Blrmkr

Blrmkr Bit poster

Also having the same issue. Tried the suggestions above to no avail. What am I missing?