prl_naptd message

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BrianE, Feb 12, 2010.

1. BrianE

BrianE Bit poster

Whenever I open Parallels 5 I eventually get the following message: "Do you want the application "prl_naptd" to accept incoming network connections?" How do I eliminate this message permanently? I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.2) on a MacBook Pro. I thought I'd included what I need to in my firewall settings, but evidently not. Thanks.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It is definitely something related to the firewall on your mac. Please try to contact the developer of the firewall.

PS: it would be nice if you will share the solution

3. BrianE

BrianE Bit poster

Just to follow up...is prl_naptd connected in some way with Parallels or is it an unrelated app? Thanks.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yes, prl_naptd is a process of Parallels Desktop. It provides SharedNetworking functionality.

5. John Denman

John Denman Bit poster

I have to say that this is a decidedly unhelpful reply given than the firewall is part of the operating system on which your product is designed to operate on.

I get this message - every time. Whenever I check the firewall settings, I see prl_naptd to be already on the list to allow incoming connections so I'm not sure why the message appears. And I'm not convinced that it is the fault of the firewall.

6. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi John,
    indeed, message about prl_naptd should not appear all the time. Strange behaviour of firewall.
    Just in case, please try to reinstall Parallels Desktop as per KB http://kb.parallels.com/6904

7. John Denman

John Denman Bit poster

I really can't remember how I fixed this. Which is a shame as the problem has now returned following the installation of the latest update. Now on build 5.0.9376

Whatever the 'fix' was, has now been undone by the update. Definitely a Parallels issue so let's not blame the firewall.

8. RobbT

RobbT Junior Member

I never had this problem until I upgraded to build 9376 (Aug 2010). But in this tread I read the problem is around for some time.

Does anyone know of a solution that's easier and less time consuming than reinstalling Parallels?

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

10. RobbT

RobbT Junior Member

Thanks for your reply Elric.

Unfortunately security seems to work different in OS X 10.6.4 and deleting apps and services (for them to reappear) doesn't work for the annoying prl_naptd. What makes me think the problem is more Parallels than MacOS.

11. MehmetB

MehmetB Bit poster

same here

i just got the same message. after a while, it went away :)

should we accept those connections or not? what is the official stance of parallels on this?

12. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I guess if you don't accept those connections then you're internet connection for the Windows virtual machine might not work? Maybe a program like Little Snitch can tell you where these connections are coming from.

13. MehmetB

MehmetB Bit poster

thanks for the reply, little snitch might be a good idea.

the internet connection seems to work, as the windows updates are finishing without a problem. i'm only using windows for an accounting program that needs an internet connection only to get news updates, and they seem to be working, too. so, for now, everything seems to work even without accepting the connection. i'll investigate further if/when this becomes a problem for me ;-)

14. GregorG1

GregorG1 Bit poster

This problem persists until today, though perhaps not quite in the form described above: I've also had issues with the firewall (particularly if/when I use Norton), but the other problem is that "prl_naptd" puts my CPU into overdrive consuming all available resources. Whatever the positive aspects of "SharedNetworking functionality", it simply cannot be that this process takes control of my CPU and causes my laptop to overheat. "Force quitting" is only a temporary solution as the program merrily relaunches at will. This is also a Parallels problem!

15. GregorG1

GregorG1 Bit poster

I should add a reference to https://forum.parallels.com/threads/prl_naptd-uses-170-cpu.92365/

16. Hi, do you have the latest Parallels Desktop version?

17. GregorG1

GregorG1 Bit poster