Parallels hogs Cmd+W and Cmd+Q from my Mac OS virtual machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by username, Apr 7, 2011.

1. username

username Bit poster

Been struggling with getting the "virtual machine is running. Whats should be done with it? Stop? Cancel" message every time I try to close a window in my Mac OS virtual machine.

I just started using Parallels 6, and I must say I can't grok the keyboard-handling philosophy at all. Presumably, people want to use their VMs the same way the use a physical computer - so why would anyone want Cmd+W or Cmd+Q to quit Parallels entirely? Especially since it's obvious and easy enough to exit the VM by mousing in the top-left corner of the screen! Also, there are apps like Final Cut where pressing Alt+Cmd+something is NOT the same as pressing Cmd+Alt+something... this is rare, but it happens, and afaik Parallels would not be able to handle this at present.

It took me almost an hour to find a way to get the command keys back. What you need to do is launch, Parallels Desktop, go to "Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Keyboard", create a new profile (I called mine "Mac OS X, Full Control") and add mappings for anything Parallels itself already handles (eg: map Cmd+Q to Cmd+Q). See the attached screen shot.

If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it. If the Parallels app gets updated and they add new key commands, I imagine I'll have to revisit the mappings.

Attached Files:

2. username

username Bit poster

Oops! Problem with the screen grab: that should be "Cmd+N -> Cmd+N" (instead of "Shift+Cmd+N")