Java Runtime Environment broken in Parallels 6 with Windows 7 x64

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MyronF, Nov 19, 2010.

1. MyronF

MyronF Bit poster

Hello.

I just upgraded Parallels to version 6 and it seems to be broken with the Java 6 JRE under Windows 7. The Java app I was using would not draw to the screen and I went to the Java control panel, only to find that it cannot draw to the screen either. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall the JRE but nothing has changed. Has anyone else seen this?

-Myron

2. drussell6

drussell6 Bit poster

Java JOptionPanes are black

Code that worked under Parallels 5 doesn't work now. I'm running Windows XP and Java 1.6_20 SDK. JOptionPane.showDialog presents a black screen on Parallels 6. It worked fine on Parallels 5. I tried re-installing Java 1.6.20 - no luck. I downloaded and installed Java 1.6.22. Still doesn't work. I ran the app across the network from a Windows XP machine; it worked correctly. I ran the app across the network from a Snow Leopard machine; it worked correctly. All showDialog commands in my app (a client/server student information system that's been running for years) only display a black screen on Parallels 6.

I'm hoping Parallels has a quick fix for this. I'm considering returning to Parallels 5 and asking for my money back for Parallels 6. I can't do product development in an environment where I can't see the results of testing.

3. wpv100

wpv100 Bit poster

I had a problem with JRE 6, and OpenProj, but it turned out to be that I had installed the 64bit JRE and I was only using a 32bit browser. Go to help/about your browser and see if you have a 32bit (nothing appears) or a 64bit (will show you 64bit). Go to java.com and run the test to see if java is installed correctly. I had to remove my 64bit JRE (even though my os is 64bit) because my browser was only 32bit.

4. Dr.F

Dr.F Bit poster

Java Runtime broken in Parallels 6 with Windows 7

have the same problem: black screen of the Java application. No matter wether 64bit Java or 32 bit, 6.0_23 or 6.0_24.
    The application works fine with parallels 5 on my laptop mac. The problem seems to correlate with the Parallels update.
    Any solution in between?
    Thanks in advance.

5. robi

robi Bit poster

I also can confirm this. Just bought Parallels to test our Java based application - now just that doesn't work, only black windows. When will be a fix for this? Doesn't work with Windows XP as well, but used to in Parallels 5.

Regards, Robert

6. Andres Montano

Andres Montano Bit poster

confirmation

I am having the same problem. Seems that any swing components show up as black. If I change parallels from full screen to window, then it renders them properly.

7. Dr.F

Dr.F Bit poster

still doesn't work after change from full screen to window

At Andres Montano: I can confirm that the Java windows is one time properly rendered after switching parallels from full screen to window. But the next action in this window respectively the next redraw within this window leads again to a black window. Java in Windows in Parallels6 still cannot be used.

8. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

Java black windows in Parallels 6

I have the Parallels 6 build 6.0.11994 (latest according to update) and can confirm that rendering of Swing windows (including dialogs) in Windows XP 32 bit using JRE 6 update 25 is also completely broken at the moment (shows as black and nothing one can do about it).

David

9. Dr.F

Dr.F Bit poster

Problem with Java resolved

Hello all,
    with the Build 6.0.12090 (Revision 660720; Thu, 26 May 2011), the Java problem is solved in my windows7 environment. Java windows showing before only black, now show what they should.

Felix

10. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

Problem with black Java is NOT resolved, at least with XP 32

Java windows still show black with JRE 1.6.0_25 on Windows XP 32 SP3 and Parallels Build 6.0.12090 (Revision 660720), as shown in the attached screen shot of a JWS application.

Parallels remains unusable for Java.

David

Attached Files:

11. kaymac

kaymac Bit poster

Same problem here. Parallels Desktop 6 Build: 6.0.12090 with WinXP (SP3?) and version 6.0.240 of the JRE. Java apps were working before the latest Parallels upgrade.

This pretty much invalidates the reason I bought Parallels in the first place.

12. AndreLanouette

AndreLanouette Bit poster

I confirm that Java JDK 1.6 update 26 cannot paint swing windows correctly. Screen stays black. This is really a problem for parallels, since developpers using a mac and working on windows cannot test and debug their applications!

13. AndreLanouette

And I would like to add that I'm running on Windows XP SP3 32bit.

14. AndreLanouette

Ok.

Turns out that switching off video 3D acceleration and vertical synchronization from the virtual machine configuration screen corrects the issue.

But this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, it was working just fine before the latests updates. Parallels staff, any support for this please?

15. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

I tried the latest build that fixes the Dock 100% CPU problem (6.0.12092), and it didn't help with the Java black window problem on either XP or Windows 7 (not that there was any reason to suspect that it would); turning off 3D acceleration as suggested by did work (it didn't seem to be necessary to turn of vertical sync as well); it also allowed IE 9 to work, since it also gives black windows if 3D acceleration is not turned off.

Does 3D acceleration actually work for anything, or should it be turned off by default ? I.e., what is the down side to leaving it off ?

I have to say that I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this myself and trying it when the Java black window problem first appeared, though I also have to say that I am also disappointed that a) nobody from Parallels support has responded in this forum and b) that they didn't suggest this back in Nov 2010 when the problem was first reported here, since presumably this might have been "obvious" to them as a potential source of the problem.

So, thanks Andre, for figuring it out !

David

16. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

Build 6.0.12094 does not help with Java problems

Just tried the new build 6.0.12094.

Still doesn't work unless you turn off 3D acceleration. Doing so causes other applications not to work (such as those that use OpenGL).

This means, for instance, that JOGL applications cannot work (need both Java and OpenGL).; see for example "http://download.java.net/media/jogl/jsr-231-2.x-demos-webstart/JRefract.jnlp". Can't erven get the JWS dialog to display right if 3D acceleration is on :(

I assume the Parallels team is too busy dealing with Lion to to fix Java support.

David

17. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

Similar problem with IE9 ?

I wonder if this is related to the problems with rendering in Internet Explorer 9 that have been described in other threads (e.g., http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=111817)?

When I encountered IE9 problems today I turned off 3D acceleration and the problem went away, but I have not tried changing the boot flags instead (as suggested in http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=111817).

My problems are on an old Macbook Pro with an ATI Radeon X1600; I haven't tried other hardware.

David

18. LachlanH

LachlanH Bit poster

FWIW I'm not actually having any problems. My Java applications display as expected, 3D acceleration is turned on for the VM.

Parallels version 6.0.12094, Java version 1.6.0_26 (in Win7 VM).

I just recently switched to OSX on a new Macbook Air. So its a new VM created with the most recent version of Parallels.