New build 3186 not yet localized??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pit29, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Tobsen

Tobsen Junior Member

I do not unstand, why they don't tell this on the update page.

We paid for localisation, but why do have to use it?

2. Victor

Victor Member

There is certainly something strange going on. I had an email from my brother saying he upgraded after getting an email (from parallels?) and it screwed his Parallels install, and his key would not work. He has a boxed version bought in the UK.

I downlosded today, and after backing up, I installed and had no problem at all. I didnt even have to reenter my key, it picked it up from some preference file (I assume). Mine is also a boxed version, bought over Apple Store Germany. The box has an address in Devon (UK), and the registration number has an address in Winchester (UK), as does the CD. The addresses belong to Avanquest.

My serial starts with 1H1RT and has 5 blocks of 5 digits, if that makes a difference.

3. gandalf771

gandalf771 Bit poster

Very strange... so there are some boxes that are different from the others... :confused:

4. eddyk

eddyk Member

update for europeans with boxed copy

"Check for updates" finally gives access to the new version. (16:45 local time)
    Downloading for the moment. I hope it will work with my key (I bought my version of Parallels through the belgian Applestore)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  5. twynne

twynne Hunter

Just to add to the above, I recommended Parallels to a friend who has recently bought a new iMac. He couldn't run the trial because the web server was down and he had no way to get a key (an issue which we assumed would affect the online purchased version as well). Based on this he went and bought a copy in a local store (in the UK) only to learn that it can't be upgraded as the key won't work.

So we were forced into a 'localised' copy because the web registration system won't work, then forced to run an old version because his *purchased* key won't work.

It really is an unacceptable situation to a larger percentage of Parallels users.

6. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Nice there is progress. But when i click help > check for updates > check now i get the following message/error:

7. gandalf771

gandalf771 Bit poster

same message here

8. eddyk

eddyk Member

download new version

Download aborted three times already with an obscure message about lost connection. Trying again

Did work this time; one hour to download 58 MB and I am on a fast line. Servers are busy...

Upgrade went without problem. Didn't even ask for my registration number.

Nice work!

9. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

It gives me a message now for the update. I will try to download it if the servers aren't to busy. But however, if this works with my key: thanks Parallels team. :)

Edit: same error again, guess it's way to busy...

Edit2: Updated and activated, great!

10. pit29

pit29 Bit poster

I don't get any update when I let Parallels serch for it. Are you sure you update FROM build 3186 and not to that build? Could someone who got that update please post date and build number?
    Thanks!

11. gandalf771

gandalf771 Bit poster

finally I have (slowly) downloaded the upgrade, all went fine

i've upgraded from build 1984-Mac-uk-AQ to 3186-Mac-uk-AQ

12. danibo77

danibo77 Bit poster

Apologies to anyone insulted by the post.

My clarification:
    I wouldn't recommend buying a copy of this program BEFORE they fix this problem..
    It's a easy as that.
    And in the meantime I keep using the trial-version with a key I got from a friend of mine.

Afterall, I paid for it..

What's more, it's easy to tell someone to wait.. 2 months and counting from 1970.

BTW:
    Got a reply (halleluja) from Mr. Stewart in the parallels team. He suggested installing the version I bought, and waiting for the "download update" to come..
    Only problem is; that version doesn't work anymore on my machine... (yes tried deleting all files.. creating new account, deleting all local fiels and system files with preferences... no luck..)

I think I can use this copy I use now with no regrets until mine is working again..

Daniel/Norway

Ps. I WOULD on the other hand recommend my friends to buy the sw when it's "working" again!!!

13. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

@pit29: I updated from build 1970, if it can help you. The about Parallels box tells me now Build 3186 (1 maart 2007), it also is activated. :)

14. bidione

bidione Member

Where to download loaclized versions

Maybe a dumb newbee question, but where do I download localized versions (if they are available)? I had some luch talking to a rep of the German distributor this afternoon, who was extremely surprised how I found out his phone number (!!) (I've taken it from a press-release ;-)

He told me the localized German version would be available for download tonight on the Parallels site. So far I did not see any hint of localized versions being available. My question: does the download offered on the Parallels site include all foreign language versions by default? Or will we really be transferred to download each foreign language version once they become available on the Parallels site? Or will the local distributors be responsible for download and I have to go to the website of the German distributor (who doesn't want to talk to his customers on the phone!)?

15. pit29

pit29 Bit poster

Finally!

Thank you, G-force - your post brought me to a good idea. I hope this works for everyone:

- uninstall build 3186 using the uninstaller
    - install the version you bought from the original CD-ROM
    - search for the update and download it using the old Parallels version. This will give you build 3186, 1. March. Downloading from Parallels web-site you will only get build 3186, 26. Feb.
    - install the downloaded update. I was able to activate it with my serial, and I hope you will be to.

And, just to remind you: you have a superior OS on your computer than windows ;-)

Good night.

Pit

16. talazem

talazem Bit poster

Even if the installer now works (which I can't determine since i'm going to have to uninstall the one I downloaded two nights ago), there are two problems.

(1) *paid* non-US buyers are getting treated consistently as second class users.
    (2) support is poor.

I've emailed both Parallels and Avanquest (the UK distributor) about several issues (including the whole one year free updates of December, which I was subsequently told doesn't apply to me despite the advertising), and I got one response after four emails (from Avanquest).

The distinction of US vs non-US is for tracking sales, most likely. A terrible reason to treat *paid* users (heck we pay more in the UK than they do in the States, actually) like this. After asking about this, I was told to keep getting new trial keys to keep my *paid* software working! I wouldn't have paid if that's what the company is going to tell me to do.

This type of support, and this type of non-chalant attitude towards paid users, is unacceptable.

17. Tobsen

Tobsen Junior Member

I'm using the German Version, I only get Buil 1980 :(

18. ozean

ozean Bit poster

I also hope this works for people – who do have their original install CD with them. I have to travel a lot and I will certainly not carry installer CDs for all my software with me, just to be able to access an update. If we were told that by installing the beta we lose our registration and have to go back to an old version, re-install that one only to get access to the update that was promised via e-mail to be ending our registration troubles… well, that doesn't make things better in my eyes.

Dear Parallels Team: please do inform us why all of this is happening and how we should proceed to get our update.

I, for example, have an expired trial key, and when trying to get a new one, I am always given the old, expired one once more.

Until the Parallels staff provides us with answers to these questions: can anyone who has successfully updated her or his localized copy using pit29’s procedure tell us what the exact name of the "good" file is? The one that does not work is called:
    Code:
    Parallels Desktop 3186 Mac en.dmg
    The version number of the installer that is in this disk image is
    Code:
    2.5 Build 3186.0
    (you can get this via the info dialog when right-clicking the installer). Oh man, I would really love to be able to use this software again. I have effectively been shut out for about three weeks (because of space requirements I have to use the bootcamp install and thus cannot do without the post-1970 versions)…

19. foxxlet

foxxlet Bit poster

Buying the localised version in the UK meant I actually spent more than the equivalent of $80 for it. I can't see any evidence of localisation anyway, other than the key not working. Menus etc are still in US spelling for instance.

No warnings about installing it over a localised build meant I updated to the latest version which won't accept my key and I am now locked out of a program I spent a lot of money on and I can't work on my mac until it is fixed.

Please just let us know when to expect a fix for this? Statements like 'soon' or 'shortly' are not really fair. We've supported you, now support us.

20. dotpitch

dotpitch Bit poster

german updtae 1980 to 1980 pfff

the updater say build 3x bla...but the download is the 1980 build...
    (in the german version) is there a cash back service?

im pissed off!

greetz..