Drag and Drop

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by veggiedude, Apr 16, 2006.

1. constant

constant Forum Maven

Well now, which one is better, Windblows or Moc?

Linux gives me choice of window manager, Linux gives me choice of window system too. Linux even gives me choice of kernel.

One of those two might be best................for people who like being in a straight jacket.

2. brettw

brettw Member

Hey Riddler ... here's one I heard at the Polo club today ... I almost spilled my champagne hehehe ....

Q. What do Parallels Workstation for OS X and a girl from Queensland have in common ??

A. They both have an ugly, hairy interface, are infested with bugs, ..... and only cost $39 !!

3. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

Thats like saying a Kia Rio is better because you can have a choice of engine models... whereas my Ferrari only has One Engine Choice.

:D Enjoy your Kia :D

4. kevco

kevco Junior Member

I was thinking more of KDE vs Gnome vs more traditional window managers. I could be wrong, but I would think that drag-n-drop events are not handled by X but by the desktop/window manager and, as such, are probably handled differently by each.

If i had to choose one or the other, I'd agree file sharing is more important. But drag-n-drop is still a feature I'd like to see added. It's not critical (to me) but can be nice to have. Pretty much my entire job is working with VirtualPC (running windows on windows) all day and I use both depending on the task. A lot of times I just need to save one config file or maybe an updated dll before I shut down and undo the disk changes. It's not a big deal but it's faster to just drag that file to my host desktop than to navigate to a shared folder.

Unfortunately I think a lot of Mac users don't really Windows networking and drag-n-drop is probably the easiest option for them.

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

But one can put another engine into their Ferrari if they want to(with a bit of welding knowledge). You see Ferrari owners have choice too.

It's only Windblows and Moc that have such rigid vendor lock in. Apple far more than M$.

Is your straight jacket comfortable?

6. dr_lha

dr_lha Junior Member

constant - do you actually post any thing here relevant to Parallels on any platform, or is this just a nice place for you to hang out and troll?

You know, we all have choice, I'm not locked into using a Mac, I can move to Linux if I want, or Windows, a Intel Mac gives me that flexibility. In fact I run Linux and Windows in Parallels and its great. It seems really ironic that a forum devoted to software that enables this kind of cross platform usage is being inhabited by a few idiots who just want to bad mouth Windows and Mac.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

dr_lha,

Only a few minutes to check would have revealed a good number of very helpful posts I have made.

I can choose to not respond, or respond, and forum discussions blossom from time to time.

8. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

Hey guys... it's all in good fun... right? RIGHT? :D

9. dr_lha

dr_lha Junior Member

I guess you haven't made any of those comments in the Mac part of this site. If you've made helpful posts, thats great, but talking about "Winblows" and "Moc" (a new one on me) makes you look like an ignorant child.

Anyway - sorry Richard Hunter, I'll be good. ;)

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

Y'know, folks, this is a support forum for the Parallels Workstation. The Parallels folks are working hard to bring us a usable product, and I feel that chatter about anything other than our experiences with using the product are very much our of place here.

The Parallels team has to read all the posts here and sort out the bits that are helpful in their development. The chatter about how good or bad the Mac, Windows, *nix, or any other product is, just wastes their time even if arguing that YOUR favorite product or OS is the best thing since sliced bread makes you feel good.

Anything that isn't directly related to use or development of the Parallels product is really off topic clutter here. The name calling is rude and in poor taste too. Let's all pretend to be grownups and help the Parallels team develop a wonderful product for us and stop wasting their (and each other's) time with ego building chatter.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

11. constant

constant Forum Maven

Good point Joem. Perhaps that's enough fun for now.