Boot Camp Vista, anyone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mralston, Mar 2, 2007.

1. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Product Activation Issues?

So, If Parallels did support a native bootcamp installation of Windows, it would necessarily have to "emulate" the native mac components (which would be different for each computer) instead of emulating another "PC" like it currently does.

I say this because Vista speaks directly to virtualization in its new EULA, and if the architecture for the native boot camp installation is not identical to what is emulated, Vista would complain and want to be activated...

Thoughts?

I have been playing around with Vista on Parallels, but I have not activated it. I want to wait until I decide whether to install natively or through parallels. I do not have a lot of extra HD space to spare and like the idea of being able to offload the Vista installation to an external HD, and then be able to run other OSes...

2. mralston

mralston Junior Member

That's correct.

3. beltzner

beltzner Bit poster

Does anyone know what the underlying problem is? As I understand it, both the XP SP2 and Vista systems use NTFS partitions, so I'm somewhat curious to know why it is that Parallels can't read a Boot Camp partition that has Vista installed. Maybe there's a manual workaround which can be done in the meantime?

4. mralston

mralston Junior Member

My guess is that MS have 'improved' NTFS with this version of Windows. They've had long enough to play about with it. Probably some extra security features. Since most systems outside of Windows have trouble writing to NTFS (and have historically) it wouldn't surprise me if a simple fundamental change could break read support.

5. marcosscriven

marcosscriven Junior Member

6. akac

akac Hunter

Its got nothing to do with NTFS. Its got to do with the updated HAL/Kernel, drivers, and such.

7. mralston

mralston Junior Member

The NTFS idea was just a stab in the dark. :)

8. vinneh

vinneh Member

vista uses a different bootloader. it wont work untill parallels writes a replacement bootloader entry similar to the modified boot.ini. it will happen soon enough...

9. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

In my opinion, "soon enough" has already passed...

10. RossSerino

RossSerino Bit poster

umm... i have vista working under parallels and boot camp... so I can't think of any reason the feature is disabled. All I did was trick it, by installing XP, setting it up through boot camp/parallels. Then I upgraded xp by replacing it with Vista, and told parallels to access the same partition via bootcamp, just updated the configuration to say vista. It bitches at me every time, saying operating system not supported! However, I click cancel and vista boots.

The only problem I have run into is vista will not support my keyboard properly. In a game it will respond to key presses, but any time I am typing, it takes a few seconds to display the character, and if I hit a few buttons, it will only register the first two, its quite odd.

EDIT: the keyboard works fine under parallels, just lags under boot camp when i type, just realized that wasnt clear.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  11. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

Can anyone verify this worked for them? I tried this a while back, and I was unable to boot the VM once I upgraded the Boot Camp Partition to Vista. I'd be curious if anyone else got this working...because I can't believe this is possible, due to Vista MBR and how Parallels reads Boot Camp Partitions.

12. mralston

mralston Junior Member

Yeah, this sounds interesting. I'd like to know.

I'd give it a go if I knew it would work for me, but I'm fed up to the back teeth of reinstalling Windows and I really can't be bothered if it's not a sure thing. ;)

13. akac

akac Hunter

I've ready quite a few people who said it didn't work. I know Parallels told me "soon" it will be supported, but my guess is the paid for 3.0 upgrade.

14. RossSerino

RossSerino Bit poster

I can assure you it works for me, not sure how I would prove it exactly, i just know that it works. It was a bit of a pain to setup and complains everytime i boot vista under parallels, but it works for the most part. Like i said though, the keyboard is barely responsive under bootcamp so I wouldn't call it a total success.

15. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

Only Vista Business and Ultimate wirk under a VM. What flavor of Vista are you running?

16. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

The only Vista flavers that work in an VM state are Vista Business and Ultimate. Enterprise does work but is not sold off the shelf. This was a business decsision on Microsofts part and had nothing to do with Parallels or aneone else.

Any other vista build actaully goes against Microsofts EULA (End User License Agreement)
    I would like to see the Home edition for a VM but knowing Microsoft and how fast they work. don't hold your breath.

The IT industry was in limbo for quite some time waiting for Microsoft to release Vista and as it is posted, Microsoft products out of the gate like any new software are going to have flaws.

Tyland1200

17. RossSerino

RossSerino Bit poster

Vista Business, now my usb mouse will work under vista in parallels, but my trackpad and keyboard wont. Under bootcamp, the usb mouse works, the trackpad doesnt, and the keyboard still lags. it's all quite weird, so i cant really reccomend anyone try it since i've only had limited success and not anything all that useful. XP ran sooo much better.

18. mralston

mralston Junior Member

I'm running the Business version too.

19. Tyrven

Tyrven Bit poster

Count me in.

Nothing new here - just voicing my support for this feature. I was really excited to see boot camp support in Parallels and a bit bummed to find out its WinXP only. I'm hoping this comes down the pipe soon.

20. leobag

leobag Bit poster

Yup, I want to stress the importance of this feature also. I've played around with the trial and the only thing that is holding me back from making the purchase (as wells as other students and friends I know) is the [non] ability to boot vista from the bootcamp partition with Parallels.

I know there is no one to blame here... everything is in beta or w/o drivers or something else... but hey, there is definite demand :)