Registration / Login -- keeps showing every time I launch.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lawlist, Oct 31, 2011.

1. lawlist

lawlist Bit poster

How can I hide the login screen on application launch, and get passed the account information update screen?

The registration window keeps showing up every time I launch Parallels 7 (latest downloadable version).

1. Launch parallels desktop for Mac.
    2. "Register Parallels Desktop" screen.
    3. I type in my email and password to "Log into an existing account."
    4. It suggests for me to change my password, but I don't want to change my password. Register Parallels Desktop -- name, email, "change password", "confirm", go back or next.
    5. I type in my old password because I don't want to change it. Then I hit next.
    6. Screen for address, and primary use (Other), home, Register. "This key is already registered to your account. Changes to your account information have been applied."

2. James T.S

James T.S Junior Member

I’m getting the exact same problem that you have described, and it happens every time I start-up Parallels.

James T. Savidge, Tuesday, November 1, 2011

3. lawlist

lawlist Bit poster

I have a temporary and perhaps permanent solution, but it may require some advanced skills to rectify. Simply pressing Command+W on the registration screen that first appears on launching the application, will get rid of it for at least a couple of days. I am not sure whether that will be sufficient now that I have purchased a license and activated the full version after the trial period.

People who have encountered this issue, have used the following approach (which I also used) -- however, the property list editor application is only available for free with Snow Leopard (not for free in Lion) -- I have a disk in my Mac Pro tower with Snow Leopard so I used the application from that disk. From what I read, you can also write to the property list files using the terminal.app -- however, I didn't do enough reading to learn how to write / change a file -- if you look, you can find it. Here is the steps for people who have the Property List Editor:

Never ask about Parallels registration:

open with Property List Editor.app the file:

$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.Parallels Desktop.plist

search for the key:

Register.Show Welcome Dialog.{some-hex-numbers}

and uncheck the checkbox. Or, here is the

Register.Welcome next show time.{some-hex-numbers}

This is the date when you will get the next regitration window. Try change this to the far-future, e.g. 2015 or so.. ;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  4. lawlist

lawlist Bit poster

Obviously, the better method would be for the Parallels developers to turn off the registration window once someone registers after applying the valid license -- this is a most annoying bug after spending 80 bucks. From what I read, this bug goes way way back in time and the developers just don't care -- there are companies who have purchased 500 licenses who can be seen complaining on the internet about this issue (i.e., the registration window keeps popping up every few days).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. supersymmetry

supersymmetry Bit poster

I get this bug too.

This is super annoying to be asked to register EVERY SINGLE TIME.

This makes me think the developers don't care about the users after they drop their 80 buck to buy it.

FIX it. This is unacceptable.