An Easy One

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by drjohn, May 6, 2007.

1. drjohn

drjohn Junior Member

Hello Folks.

I do Windows at gunpoint. However, I'm in the medical field, and these days, the gun is often at my head.

I spent a marathon two hours on the phone to tech support getting another problem fixed. At the end, he said," You know what? Go into Home Folder. Do you see that ______file in your [either applications or library] folder? All you need to do is back that up onto a DVD, and if something goes wrong, all you have to do is drop that right in there, and you have a perfect virutal machine, ready to go."

I was so tired at the end of a grueling week, I forgot to note what that file is.

Does anybody know what it is? Two hours on the phone is a long time, for anybody.

Thanks.......John

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

That depends on what host OS you are using.

The devil in me, says Mac OSX.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

If you are on a Mac, your virtual machine is on your hard disk in ~/library/parallels
    where ~ stands for the root of your user area in /users. There will be a directory in the indicated Parallels folder for each VM. In that folder will be one or more files with the extension .hdd, and a .pvs file, and perhaps others. Back up that entire folder, and you have a clone of your virtual machine. I back mine up whenever it's changed enough that I don't want to do it over.

The VM should not be running during the backup.