Is anyone at parallels working on the Pokerstars crash?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by LorenFinkelstein, Mar 11, 2007.

1. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

I have seen several posts indicating that since build 1970 Parallels desktop will just crash unexpectedly when playing on Pokerstars.

Like this one...

http://forum.parallels.com/post36343-189.html

Many builds since the problem started, but no fix.

I am on the verge of going back to Crossover.

Is this at least being worked on?

2. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

I don't play Pokerstars, but I play on ultimatebet.com, and everything since 1970 has resulted in Parallels intermittently crashing without warning. After reverting back to 1970 it seems to work well.

It's a shame, too, because Coherence is such an awesome feature. Surely Parallels has some poker players that are feeling the pain as well? :)

3. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

I have played PokerStars a few times in coherence mode with no problems. What type of problem is supposed to be happening?

4. hoppocket

hoppocket Junior Member

The main problem I have been having is that seemingly randomly the VM will quit. I will get the Apple message "The application has unexpectedly quit.." but nothing specifically from Parallels aside from the crash log.

5. ghaz

ghaz Bit poster

Me too... pokerstars + party poker + pokertracker/pahud + AHK hotkey scripts.

Have been going crazy for ages about this, it has happened in every single build up to 3188. Unsure on whether it's caused by pahud and pokertracker or the poker site's programs, but if lots of other poker players are using it it's likely that it's caused by some of the utilities we use.

I have had it happen when multitabling stars + party. 1970 works great but it's pretty slow graphics-wise in comparison and coherence is nice using multiple monitors.

Another problem I've had in the past is when importing things in poker tracker as the mouse changes between regular cursor and busy cursor back and forth a lot. This used to cause my whole computer to lock up under 1970 (windowserver at 100% cpu and graphics corruption, but able to login remotely to reboot it). If I minimise pokertracker to a tray icon this does not occur. This bug is the same bug as exhibited when people try to use the webex conferencing software (a problem which is supposedly fixed in newer builds, but I think is only really worked around).

I heard that upping the amount of reserved memory that parallels uses (rather than using automatic memory) fixes some unexpected errors, however I haven't tested this setting thoroughly enough to know whether I'm crash free yet.

Fusion has worked nicely so far, however exhibits worse performance in general than 1970 so isn't a solution yet.

Maybe you guys can chime in on how you use it and maybe we can isolate whether it's a tool that we're using or the poker software itself.

6. kthacher

kthacher Junior Member

I never multi-table and do not run anything else besides the poker client. My only real experience is with PokerStars as I run the Mac version of Full Tilt, and I no longer play at Party Poker after the US ban. My Stars client has never crashed.

7. awalter

awalter Bit poster

I'm having the Pokerstars problem as well. I really don't want to buy Crossover just to run PokerStars. :(

(yes, I could switch to FullTilt - but I like Pokerstars much better)

8. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

I submitted a crash log to Parallels and got the following response.

The problem is that Pokerstars is using an OpenGL technology, which is
    not yet supported bu Parallels.

What you could try is: open the "Options" in Pokerstars and disable
    "Animation". I'm not sure it will help, but it is possible to be the
    reason of an error.

Unfortunately, I have a bonus to work off on Full Tilt and have not had a chance to play on Stars in a while to see if it works.

9. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

I tried turning off the Animation. Still the same crash. :-(

10. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member

STILL CRASHES WITH 3.0.

Sorry I wasted my money on the upgrade.

11. pbw

pbw Member

12. LorenFinkelstein

LorenFinkelstein Member