Parallels 7 Install will NOT complete

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BobWdod, Oct 15, 2011.

1. BobWdod

BobWdod Bit poster

I have:
    macbook pro 6.2
    Intel i7 (dual core) processor
    8 gb ram
    500 gb hd
    OS X Lion 10.7.2

Been running Ver 6 with no problem

The parallels update (neither upgrade nor trial) install will complete. It gets to the prompt that says "less than one minute" and then seems to hang and never complete. I have tried many times including rebooting, repairing permissions and other misc things but it always hangs.

Anyone solve this problem?

2. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

How long did you give it? On my i7 CPU MacBook Pro it takes 15-20 minutes from the point it says "about 1 minute".

If you want to see what it's doing you can click on the menu bar of the installer and select to see the log. It's what I did the first time I thought it was hung. Watching step by step what's happening showed me that it was not hung, just a heck of a lot slower than what the installer thinks it is.

3. BobWdod

BobWdod Bit poster

Hey Megavolt17 - you were right. I set the log to display everything and it took 38 minutes but it did complete. What is curious is that on my desktop it really did take less than one minute.
    So thanks..............

4. James T.S

James T.S Junior Member

The Parallels Tools install always gets stuck every time I upgrade Parallels.

I found that if I use the Task Manager to abort the non-admin version of a runonce process, Parallels Tools will become unstuck and it manages to finish.

James T. Savidge, Tuesday, November 1, 2011

5. James T.S

James T.S Junior Member

Re: RunOnce hangs

I finally managed to solve the problem of RunOnce hanging by using a HotFix from Microsoft that prevents a deadlock in the Shimeng.dll file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949900

After installing it, I no longer appear to have any delays when installing the Parallels Tools.

6. mskirwin

mskirwin Bit poster

I am having the same issue on a brand new machine with a brand new copy of Windows 7 Home premium it has been hung up for over 24 hours. The window 7 desktop is on the screen and works, but the Parallels installer is still saying the it is still being installed. I just checked the task manager and runonce process is not listed. There are 2 copies of Parallels coherance that are showing that they are running but they are showing o bytes and It won't let me stop either of those.

This is the second time I'm trying to get Window 7 working on this machine with the same results the last time I stopped it after 24 hours and lost the install this time I'm looking here for help and also sent and e-mail for support help. I'm new to mac this is my first one and I'm really thinking about returning Parallels and trying to get bootcamp to work. I would really like to have the option of running Windows in the mac world with out having to reboot.

Please help.

thank you,

Mike

7. lake05

lake05 Bit poster

Mike,

Did you ever fix this issue? I am having the same issue. Thanks!