Running two version of PHP

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by iantresman, Feb 8, 2012.

1. iantresman

iantresman Junior Member

My server runs PHP 5.2. Some customers are asking for PHP 5.3, and even PHP 5.4.

I can't update PHP globally, as it may not work for some people, so it would be useful to be able to run multiple versions of PHP, and have individual subscriptions or even domains, decide which version they want to use.

2. Sergey L

Sergey L Bit poster

Are you running Plesk? Plesk for Linux?

3. iantresman

iantresman Junior Member

Yes, Plesk 10.4 for Linux. But hosting company said I could replace the old PHP with the new version, but I'd like a way to install the new version at the same time, so I can test it before removing the old PHP on the server.

4. Sergey L

Sergey L Bit poster

So far running two versions of PHP is possible on Plesk for Windows only.
    On Linux most distributions won't let two PHP versions installed, one will replace another.
    Which OS you are on now?

5. iantresman

iantresman Junior Member

Sorry, I'm not sure. Can I find out from Tools? I've tried Server Information, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. If it's not readily available, it would be a useful addition to Server Information, to show the installed version of Apache, OS, PHP, mySQL, and other core modules.

6. Sergey L

Sergey L Bit poster

True, instead of OS the kernel version is shown currently. We'll need to correct it. Until that you probably have to get this information for a provider selling the server to you.

Apache, PHP, MySQL versions can be seen in Tools & Settings > Server Components

7. iantresman

iantresman Junior Member

CentOS release 5.5. I guess if it does not support two or more versions of PHP, I should encourage them to do so!

8. Sergey L

Sergey L Bit poster

Hi, CentOS 5 yet can have multiple PHP version as they ship php53-* package (so they can also have php51-*, php52-*). But CentOS 6 is shipping only php-* package, thus if php-5.3 is installed, it will replace php-5.1 or php-5.2 installed previously.

9. WilliamPaul

WilliamPaul Member

I know this,but was not quite sure about the versions. Finally got here