Parallels 7, Lion: Mac OS grinds to a halt

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ovate, Sep 30, 2011.

1. VLADIMPALER

VLADIMPALER Junior Member

Why why why

I have been playing 2 specific games, they ran PERFECT until i did the last update on P7. I made NO changes to my system HAVE 8gb of ram and more then enough disk space. LITERALLY overnight the graphics have becomes so slow i cant play the games anymore. it is sooooooooooooo choppy and laggy. I had a experience number under windows 7 of 5.2 not it is 2.8. overnight.

This needs to be fixed NOW. stupid update ganked me. i sent a ticket and NOONE has gotten back to me. so the program is now USELESS as i cant use it for its purpose which i bought it.

2. dpickett

dpickett Member

What machine are you using? I've been playing Mass Effect on the latest Parallels and Win7 with no problems.

3. VLADIMPALER

DCUO and arma 1. it USE TO play perfectly. now with the new update it is as slow as mud.

im on 10.6.8

2.66 ghz i7 8gb ram

i deleted the preference folder for parallels, the game played smooth for 10 seconds. then back to crap. AND STILL NOTHING FROM PARALLELS. nice.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. dpickett

dpickett Member

2010 Macbook Pro?

5. VLADIMPALER

yes, macbook pro

6. VLADIMPALER

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

THE NEW UPDATE FIXED MY SLOW GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it went from a 2.8 no its back to 5.2. in the windows experience index!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you da parallel!

7. VLADIMPALER

PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!!!

so i started to play, guess what? the stupid 5.2 is worthless, the games STILL PLAY LAGGY. There are no other programs running.

LAG LAG LAG

8. VLADIMPALER

UPDATE:

redid the index piece of garbage went back down to 2.8

9. dpickett

dpickett Member

My guess, for the MBP users, is that Parallels is using the built-in GPU instead of the discrete one.

10. VLADIMPALER

ah. what do you suggest i do?

wait wait wait. before anyone answers.... the games were playing perfectly BEFORE these last 2 updates..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. andrew_p

andrew_p Bit poster

Thanks for your response, but I have not (knowingly) made any significant changes to my system since upgrading to Lion last fall other than reinstalling Parallels. However, I regularly install OS updates from Apple so it's possible one of those affected Parallels performance (I noticed one recent one updated the Mac firmware). I can only say the slow-down seemed to coincide with installing the March 5 Parallels 7 release (7.0.15055.740667). Also, my Mac has a 750GB drive with 500GB free, so there should be plenty of disk space.

12. VLADIMPALER

i have almost 200gb free, i was hoping not to have to reinstall. even if i did I dont see much of a change since the version would remain the same and on the mac side no changes have been made. so i would get the same outcome. Quite alot of people with the same problem and noone at parallels is reading this?

p.s. i was able to bring the experience index back to 5.2 but the game graphics are still the SAME. laggy and slow, choppy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  13. dpickett

dpickett Member

I'm not sure how to proceed next.

14. JudeCoisne

JudeCoisne Bit poster

Hello, they really have something in common they are programmed. [​IMG]

15. VLADIMPALER

Normally I wuldnt cry but i bought it for $79 then i did the upgrade.... so i spent money on something broken. BOOTCAMP TIME?

16. VLADIMPALER

[ cricket sounds ] ] ] ] ]

flippin amazing...

17. carlos darmoo

carlos darmoo Bit poster

For some strange reason Parallels always runs well for about 6 months, after that it becomes slower to boot, hangs, windows is virtually unusable as nothing happens for over 10 minutes. It slows down the Mac operating system. I have given up on it.

I am using boot camp only, and though not ideal, as I have to boot into one or the other, at least windows is useable.

I will never buy another parallels product again, and I have used them since parallels 3.
    They seem to take a backward step with every release and I only bought 7 because its the only one that runs on Lion and it is the last one I will ever buy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  18. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

I wish I would've seen this thread before buying it today. I'm experiencing the same problem as everyone else. I have a MB Core Duo 4GB RAM, and both the Mac side and the Win 7 side comes to an intolerable crawl. I have the very latest version of P7, and running Lion 10.7.3.

I think it's almost better to just carry two laptops. Sheesh!

19. PuiK

PuiK Bit poster

Same problem. I dread having to run anything in Parallel now. :(

Like everybody else, I am having same problem. I just hate having to do anything in window under Parallel now. I have been using Parallels from version 4 I think and have been paying for each upgrade and with each upgrade the systems just go slower and sloooooower.... :(

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8G of Ram and 240G free hdd running under Lion.

20. andrew_p

andrew_p Bit poster

I installed the latest build (7-1.0.15094.749908) yesterday, and after running it for 2 days things definitely seem to be better. So far, no slowdown like I was having before so hopefully the issue has been fixed. However, I haven't tried any graphics-intensive games yet so this isn't an unqualified endorsement.

Before installing the latest build, I uninstalled the previous version using the uninstall feature in the previous build's DMG and checked the box 'uninstall application settings' (this does not delete any VMs). I have no idea if this made a difference or not, I just wanted to restart with as clean of an install as possible.