Lion & Windows 7 Screen Messed Up

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Brett Schmidt, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Brett Schmidt

Brett Schmidt Bit poster

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem.
    Running Mac OS X (Lion) on a 15" MacBook Pro (2.3GHz i7 with 8GB DDR3 Ram) and updated Parallels Build 7.0.14922on a.

Hope I get my terminology down right ... When I switch "Desktops" / Views (via hitting F3) and I go back to my VM of Windows 7 Ultimate that's installed the screen is ... "garbled" - pixelated - all messed up and stays that way till you start moving the mouse all over the place and clicking randomly. The screen will then start to "re-appear" / become un-garbled so you can actually see the Windows desktop.

This happens with absolutely nothing running in either environment; OS X and nothing running inside Windows 7.

Hoping to add a picture to help better illustrate what exactly the screen is doing.
    Any others who have experienced this would be a huge help.
    Many thanks
    Buckster

Attached Files:

2. RayVr

RayVr Bit poster

A solution (maybe)

I have a 17" macbook pro (2.2 ghz i7, 8gb ddr3 ram), with parallels 6 and Windows 7 Pro. Updated to Lion when it came out, and Parallels 7 last weekend. Parallels ran flawlessly until the v7 upgrade, now I get the same problem as you. It will run find for a 10-20 minutes, then it gets the random pixellated look similar to yours. If you grab a window on your desktop and move it around it also 'refreshes' or 'redraws' the screen back to normal. This happens if you are in the windows screen page or on a different one.

I found some comments on a similar problem, with this solution: go to Parallels/ Virtual Machine/ Configure / Advanced. Set 'Time' to 'Do not sync'. So far, no flickering... but I'm not sure what other problems that might have created :)

Let me know if you have a better solution!

cheers,
    Nelson

3. eyepee

eyepee Member

New Parallels Update - My Screen is all Pixelated.

I am having the exact same problem since the new July 2012 update on Parallels 7. I am running Parallels on a Mac Mini Server with 8GB Ram with current OS X Lion. My virtual OS is 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate. My Screen is a Sony Bravia 40" Flat Screen TV with HDMI connection. I have had no problems like this until I did the update a few days ago. I have played with Ram and GPU memory with no success.

I will try the above suggested untick "Sync Time". It sounds a very strange remedy but I'll try it. Otherwise is anyone else having problems and do they know a fix?

IP

4. eyepee

eyepee Member

No, the untick "Sync Time" as suspected did absolutely nothing.

Parallels can you please fix this as I cannot use Windows.

If I click on the start button in Windows the desktop clears or if I move a smaller window in Windows around it clears the screen.

I have a MBA 2011 and I do not have a problem so far with the screen so it is only Mac Mini Server. I am about to upgrade my MM (non server so I will see if the update causes it to fail as well.

IP

5. eyepee

eyepee Member

After a lot of trying many options I found "unticking" 3D Acceleration seems to stop the flickering/pixillation. This is disappointing though because I needed 3D Acceleration to run my USB Tuner so now I can't use it to record TV. Typical... I can find a fix in Parallels but it is not a cure to the problem. So I have to enable 3D Acceleration to use the TV tuner/recorder, but have to disable it to stop the flickering... but I can't watch/record TV anyway because of the flickering!!. So I have stopped the flickering and now I am just sitting staring at the screen with nothing to do.........................

Parallels, it is clear your virtual graphic's card does not work with the Mini Server so please fix it.

Thank you and looking forward to a tech's post.

6. RayVr

RayVr Bit poster

Sorry been a while so I don't remember exactly how it was fixed, but I think I had to do a complete clean/reinstall of parallels. Something died on an upgrade. Get the support guys to help you with this - you can do this without having to reinstall windows and your windows stuff, all that is saved somewhere. Right now I'm running with all options on: 3d, max ram, etc. I'd be surprised if you have a compatibility issue.

Good luck,
    Nelson