Dual Screens flickering - Mountain Lion - Windows 7 - Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by insaddingaround, Jul 12, 2012.

1. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello guys.

As has been already said, try to update to Mac OS 10.8.1

If it does not help, please generate a Problem Report and pose an ID here, thank you

2. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

I did the OSX update already with NO JOY and have submitted the problem request

Problem report is 1440834. Upon reporting that the update did not correct the issue, I received an email from Parallels suggesting they are still working on it? Is this not the case?

*** Email ***
    Aldrin Chanliongco, Parallels pde-support@support.parallels.com

Aug 25 (2 days ago)

to xxxx
    Hi Mr. xxxx xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the issue with the flickering external monitor. Our Engineering team and Development team is still working on the said issue.

We do not have any updates yet coming from them. They have added the solution of updating to OS X 10.8.1 because they are performing the checks from time to time.

To let our customers try the fixes that our Development and Engineering team tested in our labs.

However if the suggested fix still did not fix the issue. Our Development and Engineering team is continuously working on this concern.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Best regards,

--
    Aldrin M. Chanliongco
    Technical Support Engineer
    Parallels ||

3. cyclops

cyclops Member

Agreed. 10.8.1 did not fix the issue for me. Still waiting. Will buy version 8 when it comes out, IF it fixes the problem.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

thanks a lot, forwarding your PR to the dev team.

5. TomCin

TomCin Bit poster

I'm having the same problems. Please keep me updated.

6. Perkof

Perkof Bit poster

OSX update has not fixed this issue for me either.

Will parallels 8 fix this issue?

7. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Naturally I'm having the same issue with ML and PD 7. Turning of 3D acceleration has "fixed" the issue although I wouldn't call that a fix. I'm going to be VERY unhappy if the only fix for this is to "upgrade" to the latest version PD 8. I have been buying Parallels since it came out and up to date they have been very reasonable at fixing issues. This time, not so much. If an upgrade to PD 8 is whats required to fix this issue then I'm done, I'll go buy VMWare's product this time. It shouldn't have to be this way. Parallels, please release a fix for PD 7.

Jeff

8. Paul84

Paul84 Bit poster

Still waiting for a fix... Updating OS X to 10.8.1 didn't resolve the issue.

9. costabas

costabas Member

@jeffro01: VMWare has the same issue and they included the fix in version 5 (the latest, just released):
    http://communities.vmware.com/message/2089376#2089376
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi..._1_1&dialogID=397406586&stateId=1 0 397426146

I personally think it is a problem with the operating system video drivers.

Having said that, I am a computer programmer and I still don't understand why is taking so long to fix this issue. I also don't understand how the parallels team can recommend people to install 10.8.1 without knowing whether it fixes the issue or not. How hard can it be to install 10.8.1 and reproduce the issue in your testing lab? In the end we deal with apple hardware not with an infinite number of hardware models. I also assume they have a very tight relationship with apple.

I acknowledge the complexity of the product but still, I think it should have been fixed by now. I need to use software that uses the 3D acceleration. This is why I am using multiple monitors.

And I refuse to think they would stoop so low to include a fix in version 8 but not in version 7.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. Perkof

Perkof Bit poster

The flickering issue (For me atleast) is solved in Parallels 8. However the second screen is laggy and the cursor not so accurate when moving items from screen to screen.

11. cyclops

cyclops Member

Yeah, same here. Plus, added bonus, you can't move open windows from one screen to another. They just bounce back to the original screen that they were on.

So, to recap...

- Parallels 8 fixes the display flashing issue with Mountain Lion (hooray!)
    - Parallels 8 introduces a performance issue with the second screen. Second screen is slower than the main screen. (Windows 7 x64)
    - Parallels 8 introduces an issue where windows cannot move from one screen to the other. (Windows 7 x64)

Seems like a step in the right direction, but I hope this is fixed VERY soon!

12. Perkof

Perkof Bit poster

Quoting for emphasis - this is exactly the problem I am now experiencing with Parallels 8.

13. Sven11

Sven11 Bit poster

Should be fixed in PD7 also

When I upgraded to Mountain Lion I first checked my most important applications if they are compatible with Apples new OS. Also the PD site promotes PD7 to be Mountain Lion ready. As we know thats was only half the truth. Meanwhile I run Windows 7 natively and wait for a solution.

But I think it is no option to fix this only in Version 8 after promoting PD7 to be ready for Mountain Lion.

14. costabas

costabas Member

I can confirm as well that the flickering is gone in PD 8 (Windows 7 x64). I am using DirectX 9 as the option for 3D Acceleration.

When I drag a window from the secondary monitor (Laptop display) to the main display (TD) the mouse jumps above the window being dragged (even though when the drag started the mouse was positioned on the top bar of the window) and if I release the mouse the window moves back to the secondary monitor.

To move the window successfully from the secondary display (laptop) to the primary display (TD), I move the window enough to have a portion of it on the first display (TD) while the mouse stays in the same display and it doesn't cross over, I release the mouse, then I drag the window again but I do it this time in the first display (TD), i.e. the drag starts and stays in the first display. This works, the window doesn't move back. When I move it the other way I do the same, two moves basically. It seems that when you start and finish the drag in the same display the window stays there (even when the window has an area on one display and the rest on the other display), but when you drag the window all the way from the first display to the second one, it jumps back.

*Sigh*

Can you guys fix this?!

Update: After using it a bit, I also noticed that there is something funky going on with the mouse shape. Sometimes, when I move the mouse cursor from the primary display to the secondary display, the mouse shape changes to a vertical bar about 2cm long and maybe 1-2mm wide with a cross hatching pattern. I had this issue in PD 7 with the 3D Acceleration disabled.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  15. cyclops

cyclops Member

Build 18100 has improved the dual displays a bit. Speed seems to be better, but the 'not being able to drag something from one screen to the other' is still a problem.

Keep the updates coming! :)

16. juzci

juzci Guest

And what about our brand new 18101 one? Has anyone checked already?

Regards,
    Hanna

17. Dr_Rob

Dr_Rob Junior Member

Issue resolved in Parallels Desktop 8 update

Just so you know, the dual monitor issues have been resolved with what I believe was the first update of Parallels Desktop 8 including issues with 3D acceleration and smartmouse.

18. cyclops

cyclops Member

So far, so good. 18101 seems to fix the monitor issues for me. Great job all! Screens seem to be updating correctly, and the window drag issue seems to be resolved.

Thanks!

19. Perkof

Perkof Bit poster

Working a lot better for me this morning.

20. Sven11

Sven11 Bit poster

Just updated to PD 7.0.15107 but the flickering is still an issue.
    I feels somehow different but it is still unusable.

Still hoping this will get fixed for PD7 cause it was promoted to run with Mountain Lion.