Spoke too soon, I bombed PD7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by adanguspf, Sep 5, 2011.

1. adanguspf

adanguspf Member

OK. It bombed. I had a PD6 Win7 virtual machine that I upgraded to PD7 this morning. At first, everything seemed just fine. Then I started Acronis True Home to complete a full backup of what I had just captured. I point Acronis at a second HD image on an external drive. In spite of this image having enough room for a full backup, the machine died during the process and I was forced to stop it. After this, the VM would hang on reboot after me logging in. It was unresponsive to Ctrl-Alt-Del, so I shut it down and attempted to delete the offending drive. Even though the machine was stopped, PD7 told me I couldn't remove the second HD while the machine was running, and that I should stop it. The VM would also not start in safe mode. I said there was some missing file. I restarted the entire iMac and at this point, PD7 let me remove the external drive. However, attempting to start the VM, I get Problem ID 19014. Unfortunately, Problem ID 19014 does not appear to exist on the Parallels site anywhere. I've attached a couple of screen shots of the error and of the results of a search for it.

Anyway, I'm back to rebuilding the VM from my backup of the original file at the PD6 level. This time, I'll see if I can clean out the contents of that second HD from within the VM before I start up Acronis again.

Just when everything was going so well, it's back to square one.

Attached Files:

2. adanguspf

adanguspf Member

So, I started it again...

So, I went back to my PD6 VM file backup and upgraded it again to PD7. This time, I just deleted the external HD as soon as I could in the upgrade process. Wondering whether some of the previous issues might have been tied to adaptive hypervisor, I left that off. The host and guest OS machines both seemed to thrash when I upped the memory to 1.5GB, so I dropped that back down to 1GB (from a total of 4GB available on my iMac). I did set video memory to 512kB. I did get Parallels tools reinstalled after a couple of tries. And my WEI scores still made sense. And Aero ran.

However, I would get random indications that Windows was not genuine, even though it had been activated. This seemed to have something to do with my network connection, since in troubleshooting that issue, the Help & Support panel would also randomly go off the network, and required to be manually set back on-line repeatedly. When I checked the system control panel, it stated that the activation status was unknown. I reset the network adapter on the iMac, and once that came back on line, the system control panel automatically gave the genuine Windows icon.

There were still messages about PC issues on the desktop though. For one in particular concerning the network adapter, I've included a screen shot. It seems quite inconsistent between the message on the issue and the device manager's report on the status. The system seems to believe that the network adapter is a Realtek RTL8029, and that it's an Intel Pro 1000 MT with a signed Windows driver. BTW, I included the window showing that the VM is running under PD7, but I edited out the product key and my name in Photoshop.

I suppose that there's a regedit cure for this somewhere, or perhaps Parallels tools didn't run completely or is corrupted somehow.

Thoughts on what to do next?

Attached Files:

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

4. markbrads

markbrads Bit poster

Error 19014 - Parallels 8

Hi All,

Not sure if mines related but this morning my usual message about Parallels wanting to create a snapshot failed with error 19014, clicking the fix support link goes nowhere - any ideas please.

Thanks

Mark

5. MaartenK

MaartenK Bit poster

i have the same problem.

but then with parallels 8.
    can not delete my snapshot either....