How can I disable "touch" in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DotNetGuy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

Parallels is virtualizing what appears to be touch support, but my Mac doesn't have a touch screen. The manifestation is that you see checkboxes on files & folders in Windows Explorer, as well as drop-down menus popping out with the wrong orientation (anchored in the upper right instead of the upper left).

I suspect there's probably a driver that could be disabled in Device Manager, but I'm not sure which one it is. Anybody know how to make the touch emulation go away?

(I should mention, I'm using Parallels Desktop 8.)

2. Roman Fattakhov

Roman Fattakhov Parallels Team

Hi! Could you please provide a screen sht of the issue?

3. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

Here is a screenshot showing Windows 8 in Parallels Desktop 8, full screen mode. You can see the inverse drop-down menus and the checkboxes in Explorer.

Interestingly, the Computer control panel applet does not say that touch is supported, but the behavior still seems to be baked into the OS anyway (and with Windows 8 RTM, there's no way to disable touch, unlike prior versions of Windows).

Another thing that may be the cause: this VM started in VMware 5, and was imported into Parallels. Is it possible that VMware told the OS that it was touch, and Parallels didn't have anything to do with it? I know that my co-workers who are using VMware have the same issue.

Attached Files:

4. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

Just built a fresh Windows 8 VM, and none of the touch stuff is enabled. Guess this was just a holdover from VMware.

Sorry for the false alarm!

5. Tomas Truchly

Tomas Truchly Bit poster

you're right

When you do fresh install in Fusion , it will get touch.
    When you do fresh install in Parallels, everything is ok.

My idea was to activate the system only once, and then port it to parallels.
    So still the question is. How to turn it off ? Does anyone know?

I know this touch "checkbox icon" thing sice win7. I istalled couple HP Touchsmart PCs. The idea of check box was that you don't have to hold CTRL while selecting multiple files?
    It's really pretty annoying :)

help!