Unable to select coherence or get into coherence mode.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MervinT, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MervinT

MervinT Bit poster

I'm unable to get into coherence mode. Its not even available for me to select. I installed Parallels, started it after everything is updated. I'm unable to select it. Anyone knows how to fixed it? Below is a picture what i meant.

[​IMG]

2. AndLoo

AndLoo Bit poster

Unable to get into coherence mode

Nearly the same with my. When I choose "Change to Coherence" (in German) the screen shows "Coherence wird gestartet" with the rotating cog wheel. Soon I hear the sound of the starting Windows but I don't see it. And the cog wheel turns round and round and round ...... and never ends. Nothing else happens.

This appeared two or four weeks after I upgraded do Parallels 8 (Build 8.0.18101). New installation of Parallels Tools did not help.

So what shall I do?

Greetings
    Andreas Loos

Attached Files:

3. Invertek

Invertek Bit poster

Same here. Had it, lost it again with the last update of "tools" yesterday.

How do we get it back??

I am using Windows 8.

4. AndLoo

AndLoo Bit poster

Impossible Coherence

Yesterday I updated Parallels (Build 8.0.18305, Ãœberarbeitung 811918; Thu, 25 Oct 2012). While updating the Parallels Tools have been newly installed. But nothing changed since my posting at Okt. 24: I am unable to get into Coherence. In a Windows service site I got the diagnosis that my BIOS probably does not fit my processor. So what has been changed in Parallels 8?

Greetings
    Andreas Loos

5. AndLoo

AndLoo Bit poster

Continuation of my last posting

I forgot to mention that I use Parallels with Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3) on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.6.8, 2.53 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB.

AndLoo

6. Invertek

Invertek Bit poster

Hello Andreas,

yes, this is my build number as well. So I suspect it is a Parallels issue and nothing to do with Windows 8.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Reinstall Parallels Tools.

8. jefferis

jefferis Member

No Coherence, no drag and drop

I am having the same issue on Lion since upgrading to Parallels 8 and Win 7.

I tried reinstalling tools and they say they are installed but the windows wouldn't restart and I had to do a check rebuild/revert to previous install. This is very buggy. No drag and drop, no coherence, can't even find shared folders.

ALSO, THE SCREEN RESOLUTION LOOKS VERY BLURRY

9. AndLoo

AndLoo Bit poster

Answer to specimen

You told me to reinstall the tools. I did it twice. How often should I do it? :)

Greetings
    Andreas Loos

10. jefferis

jefferis Member

I reinstalled parallel tools. I now have coherence, but drag and drop is NOT working

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Coherence, drag n' drop among other services are enabled via the correct installation and working of Parallels Tools (drivers, services), unless there's something conflicting with it and its installation, re install should take care of the issues. If the problem persists something might conflicting with installation.

AFAIK, in the latest versions of PDM7 and 8 Parallels Tools works as expected with Windows XP up to Windows 8, leading to conclude there's something peculiar in your setups.

My suggestion, contact Parallels Support.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  12. Jaw1234

Jaw1234 Bit poster

Answer to "Unable to select coherence or get into coherence mode"

Do as below your problem will be solved:

1- Start virtual machine
    2- go to "Virtual Machine" on Parallels menue bar
    3- click on "Reinstall Parallels tools"
    4- Restart your virtual machine
    DONE!

Also in full screen mode the coherence mode is not available!
    sorry for my bad English, i hope your problem has been solved by doing this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  13. ClaireC

ClaireC Bit poster

I was having the same problems, couldn't get to my start menu, tried to fix it through coherence mode, and couldn't open coherence mode. Tried clicking "Reinstall Parallels tools" and nothing happened, screen just went/stayed black.
    Please help!

14. Christian_B

Christian_B Bit poster

Isn't this thread in the wrong section ? Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion

15. RWB

RWB Bit poster

I would hope that some one from Parallels could read this and perhaps give us a better answer than "Reboot, Reinstall Tools, or Upgrade" - - -

Running Parallels 6.0.12106 Apple OSX 10.6.8 here. Have seen quite a few people with this issue in the forums with this issue appearing in both Lion and Snow Leopard as well as XP, Win7, and Win8 so it definitely a Parallels issue. Comments indicate it is an issue that dates back to 2009 and is still being reported as recently as this month. From their answers though it appears Parallels has no idea what causes it and has given up with the usual, but unacceptable mantra of "just reboot and re-install Parallels Tools". It seems that the newer the version of OS and Parallels the less effective this becomes. Hopefully someone has found a better answer than this. Sorry I have not found one so far.

16. Pellarsa

Pellarsa Bit poster

After trying and failing to install Windows 8.1 on Parallels 9, Paralells will no longer go into Coherence mode and I cannot connect Windows 8 to the internet.

I am also unable to reinstall Parallels Tools

Can anybody please assist

17. RWB

RWB Bit poster

Parallels 9 and Win 8.1 - no coherence mode

This link might help but looks like you also have the Parallel Tools issue
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/118116

This link may help with that
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?292118-Cannot-Reinstall-Parallels-Tools-on-Windows-8-1

Hope this helps.

PS I use a laptop with a 2nd USB monitor. I am not in Win 8 yet but it looks like Parallels has had trouble all the way back to 2009 with Coherence and the dual monitor setup. Since Win 8 is a radical departure from the past, I doubt that Parallels is doing any better with Win 8. Generally works but can get squirrely. When that happens I find that gathering all my work to the native monitor (in my case the laptop screen) and working through the issues there helps. It does look like the Coherence issue is related to monitor driver support issues which is why they talk about the Parallels Tools.

18. Pellarsa

Pellarsa Bit poster

I tried all that but to no avail.

A further possible clue: When I try to reinstall parallells tools it seems to search and does not find it on my DVD drive?

If I can just get internet to work on my Windows I am sure it will solve the problem

19. RWB

RWB Bit poster

Windows can't find Internet

Trouble is the internet connection sounds like it is struggling because of the same reason tools is not working and that all kind of points to some issue with the basic install of tools. Another link to take a look at if you haven't already. Seems to talk about the issue of not being able to see the DVD. Once the tools install is successful though, first thing I would check is to make sure the software is up to date though since the DVD versions get outdated really quickly.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/9418

Good luck