Slow on Mini?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MattBrink, Apr 6, 2006.

1. MattBrink

MattBrink Bit poster

I have the cheapie Intell Mac Mini (1.5GHz Core Solo) and Workstation seems pretty pokey to me at the moment - is this because of it running in software virtualization mode instead of hardware?

2. anshar

anshar Member

It could be memory issue as well. If you have 512M in your Mac mini - it is better not assign to guest VM more than 256M.

I tried Parallels on Mac Mini with 1G RAM and it worked pretty fast even in software virtualization mode. Though dual iMac in VT mode is faster anyway :)

3. MattBrink

MattBrink Bit poster

I have 2 gig in my Mini with 384M allocated to the VM.

4. anshar

anshar Member

Not memory then.

1. Which guest OS works slow?
    2. Can you check virtualization mode in About window for running VM - is it "Software mode 0" or "Software mode 2".

PS: Anyway it was said here that VT-x disabled in Mini unintentionally due to bug and probably it will be fixed in upcoming firmware updates.

5. MattBrink

MattBrink Bit poster

1. I have XP SP2 installed at the moment with the addons installed.

2. It says "Software Mode 2".

6. jla0

jla0 Junior Member

Actually, the Core Solo (in the cheapie Mini) as NO VT tech. It was not disabled by the firmware upgrade since it never had it in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  7. anshar

anshar Member

No idea - it should be reasonobly fast in this case. Not a real PC ofcourse - but responsive.

8. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I have a mini core duo and it has the "Enable Intel VT-x" support enabled (checked).

If by the "About" box, you mean "Parallels Workstation" menu -> "About Parallels Workstation" while it's running the XP VM, I don't see any software mode info, just "Virtualization Mode: Intel VT-x".

I have a core duo with 10.4.6 and the 4/6/2006 firmware update. So I guess there is a difference between the core solo and the core duo for virtualization.

9. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Maybe the problem is with 'Overall Memory' option (Edit->Preferences->Memory) ?
    This one defines a total memory limit for all running VM's.
    It should be at least +20% to the size of guest memory for all running guests.

10. MattBrink

MattBrink Bit poster

Mine is set to a gig on that so I don't think that's it. I have discontinued testing of the product because of the nasty kernel panic issue with wired ethernet access in the VM so I will have to pick it up whenever that bug is fixed.

11. Djoh

Djoh Member

Core Solo VT-x

So I asked this question as well, people are uncertain, but it seems the Core Solo supports VT-x as does the Core Duo, but both have some weird firmware bug that makes it a pain to get it working fully (as of the current firmware/beta Parr.Workstation release).

http://forum.parallels.com/thread85-7.html
    (down at the bottom)

12. simon

simon Member

"pokey" to me would mean it's fast, as in "it's got some poke".
    I guess this must be a new American usage of the word that I was previously unaware of.

13. dr_lha

dr_lha Junior Member

Actually you're wrong. I have a Core Solo 1.5Ghz mini currently running Parallels Beta 3 with VT-x virtualization enabled.

14. stompbox

stompbox Junior Member

Matt,

I am running XP Home on my single core and it's fast! Even when it was running software mode - it was still much faster than VIrtual PC. See this thread:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread577.html

It took a while but I got VT ON for my Core Solo. Others are incorrect, the core solo does support VT and XP runs very, very fast.

You shouldn't allocate more memory to XP than you have. Try half or quarter of real physical memory.