Google Chrome performance in Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Leif ArneB, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Leif ArneB

Leif ArneB Bit poster

Hi all,

I just upgraded to Parallels 8 and all in all I´m rather satisfied with the result. I especially like the support for Retina resolution - however i find no use for it as to that I´m running a dual screen setup.

I currently have new MBP with retina running OSX Mountain Lion combined with a Windows 7 PVM image.

All apps are behaving as normal with the exception of Google Chrome:

- Performance is extremely sluggish overall
    - The "browsing area" of the Chrome broswer flickers and some times turns completely black
    - Scrolling laggs and reading long threads, posts or long sites is very tiresome.

Performance in Firefox and Explorer is perfect. Chrome is updated and at its latest version.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue (i have reinnstalled chrome etc..)?

Thanks

2. RobN2037

RobN2037 Bit poster

Still an issue after re-install

I am having the same problem.

I tried Parallels support and I have just re-installed but with no joy

Anything on this would be helpful

3. RobN2037

RobN2037 Bit poster

Looks like a return to Parallel 7 is the official answer

Shiraj on the Parallels chat support now suggests that downgrading to Parallels 7 is the solution.

Perhaps the best answer might be to never upgrade or use an alternative VM implementation.

I'm very disappointed by this outcome

4. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. The problem was found and fixed. Please wait for the update. Thank you for your patience.

Alex

5. RobN2037

RobN2037 Bit poster

Great news!

Alex

That is really good news. I find Parallels 8 to be great, with only the Chrome browser issue as a problem.

It's just a particular problem in that I use certain Chrome browser apps extensively at work

Rob

6. Leif ArneB

Leif ArneB Bit poster

Thanks

Alex,

Thanks for your swift resolution of the issue! looking forward to a fix in a future update :)

7. bcrespino

bcrespino Bit poster

Same issue. Subscribing to hear the resolution.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

Parallels Desktop 8 update that addresses Chrome issue has been released. Check for updates via Parallels Desktop menu.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. Leif ArneB

Leif ArneB Bit poster

Confirmation that newest version fixes the issue

I can confirm that the new release fixes the issue. Had to reinnstall Parallels fully with a new download of the trial version. No update out yet.

10. Parallels User AGR

Parallels User AGR Bit poster

Any news on this?

This issue is preventing me from continuing some 2d canvas / HTML5 work in Chrome using Parallels 8 - debating on going back to PD7. Check for updates right now and still no update. My current PD8 version is Build 8.0.18101
    (Revision 797180; September 5, 2012)

Thanks!

11. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

This issue just appeared on me in the last 2 weeks

Running P8 (8.0.18354), MacBook Pro 13", late 2011, 8GB RAM, latest as latest as Chrome can be. Some tabs withing Chrome just goes black. Only way to recover is close that tab, re-open the URL again. Firefox and IE are all fine.

Chrome or P8 issue?

12. bcrespino

bcrespino Bit poster

I have the same issue. I just popped in the last couple of weeks. I assume it was a Chrome update that changed something because I didn't have the issue for months prior.

13. benben

benben Bit poster

Serious Chrome Issues For Latest Version

I currently have the most updated versions of Parallels 8 and Google Chrome and am having the issues described by others, using a Windows 7 VM.

Sometimes tabs go black and I can't get it back. Sometimes I navigate to another page and what I see doesn't change. Sometimes it goes all white. Have to keep opening new tabs and copy/paste the URL. Sometimes I have to do that a few times before it works.

14. MarkusGoebel

MarkusGoebel Bit poster

Chrome performance on MacBook with Retina

Having the same issue on my MacBook Pro with Retina display and Windows 7 with Chrome running from Windows. Very frustrating!

15. Eiffel

Eiffel Bit poster

Same issue. W7 on MBP.

16. ValeryD

ValeryD Bit poster

Macbook Pro Retina / Windows 8 : Chrome - Same issue.

17. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

May as well add here that i've seen the black browser area bug too. Just have to close down Chrome, it's useless otherwise.

I'm on a MBPr, but running at Scaled resolution, as otherwise external displays appear fuzzy and exhibit some odd behaviour (Understandably considering what Parallels had to do to accomodate Windows inability to set different DPI per display...that too is understandable it would be no easy feat lol)

18. Paul Batum

Paul Batum Bit poster

Macbook Pro Retina / Windows 8 : Chrome - same problem. Bad performance, black windows, etc.

19. hyunjo

hyunjo Bit poster

MBPr, Parallels Desktop build 8.0.18354, Windows 8, Chrome 24.0.1312.57.

often times, when i switch away from parallels, and then back, the chrome window turns all black. It is very annoying.

20. UldisK

UldisK Bit poster

Parallels 7 also has this problem. My system config: MBP late 2011, OS 10.8; Parallels Build 7.0.15107; Chrome 24.0.1312.57.