WinXP-OS X-Acronis-Boot Camp-Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jczarni, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jczarni

jczarni Bit poster

Im looking to boot my native WinXP partition in Parallels without screwing up my current set up. Im not sure of the feasibility. I have an Acronis OS Selector environment Ive been running since Christmas. My SATA HD goes like this front to back:

NTFS (WinXP boot) 10G
    OSX (OSX boot) 50G
    NTFS (Data) 174G

I cant remember where Acronis part. sits, but if you can help with my problem you probably know.

On install, Parallels sees my WinXP part. as a Boot Camp part. Ive tried, but i get the non-standard boot camp info window.

Is there a way to boot my WinXP partition in Parallels?

2. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

There seems to be an issue when attempting to boot a Boot Camp partition in Parallels when you have more than one volume mounted on the system.

i.e. Unless you have just a) a Boot Camp partition and b) a Mac OSX partition, Parallels will complain about the non-standard configuration and refuse to boot.

I encountered this situation merely by having a USB external hard drive connected to my MBP when trying to start up a Boot Camp partition in Parallels. It would not boot until I disconnected the external drive.

Since you have 3 (or more) partitions, I'm not sure if you're going to be able to boot from your Boot Camp partition until Parallels releases a fix or configuration control for this type of partitioning.

3. jczarni

jczarni Bit poster

Thanks for the input!

I didnt have the NTFS data partition mounted at the time, and OSX Disk Utility doesnt report the Acronis boot partition at all. Im scared to do ANYTHING at this time. I will wait for Parallels to update and try it again.

Thanks again.